Notices

Keep Coming Back

Old 11-02-2008, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Keep Coming Back

In this here drama of life, we're bound to slip off the stage a few times. The director is a lush and can't even hold his liquor. The problem is, he has a problem holding everyone else's liquor.

Lights! Camera! Action!

From the very first step, recovery is a path of action. First, we have to get honest. Then we have to get real. We have to wake up. Snap out of it. Get on with the task of making things right.

It's a difficult journey sometimes. Your ass may even fall off a few times. Pick it back up, jump on the water wagon, and roll off into the wild blue yonder with all the other winners. You may not win an Oscar for your performances, but you can know in your heart you've just won the whole audience for the rest of your life.

You see, recovery is not a plan that is over and done with. It's a life-long endeavor.

It Works If You Work It. Keep Coming Back!!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Very well put!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Coming back from a long dry drunk period can be almost as shaky as coming back from a relapse...
Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

After I hit 18 mo's sober, I was out there...thinking I could run this reckless show all by myself. I "graduated". I stopped going to meetings altogether. I went about 2 years without regular meetings. I almost relapsed. Upon waking from a violent drinking nightmare on 7/29, I've been going to an insane number of meetings. Counsellors and sponsors recommend 90 meetings in 90 days. I think I've been to over 150 in that time. I lost count! Thank God for this program! I'm still sober today. Not to mention that my 6th B-Day/anniversary is coming up this Friday. I have a reason to celebrate.

"One is too many, and a thousand is not enough" for this alky. So, I'm gonna keep coming back.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for your posts Midas. I'm only 30 days sober, but meetings every single day as well as coming here are what has kept me sober. For that I am truely, truely grateful.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations Midas, 6 years is flipping fantastic!! Go you!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Even with my B-Day right around the corner, I sometimes just want to give up. Life is good. I'm reasonably happy. I have to keep trusting God to pull me through. We have to stop fighting everyone and everything--including our selves.

Like Gandalf said of the Mines of Moria, "The only way out...is through."

Trust God. Love People. Don't give up before the miracle happens. That's why I keep coming back. Maybe some day I'll get this thing right.