Notices

I just figured out what my Higher Power is!!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile I just figured out what my Higher Power is!!

I've been reading an awesome book called Healing the Shame That Binds You and the author talks a lot about the healing power of AA. Everytime I would read the line 'surrender yourself to God as you understand God' I would get a little stuck. I don't believe in God. I don't believe that there is a power outside of myself operating on my actions. So, I had to stop and try to reconcile my viewpoint.

And then it became to clear to me--my Higher Power is me. Okay, not just me. But me in my 'idealized' form. It's the me that I aspire to be. It's the me who is open and warm and fearless and inspirational and honest and kind and smart and funny and wonderful. It's the me that I hide away behind defenses so that she doesn't get hurt. She's in there though, and I need to live up to who she can be. Wow, that makes me feel so much better!!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You are very insightful! I love your higher power - the love and goodness within each of us if we let it shine!

love your cat picture!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Be careful making yourself your higher power. You may be setting yourself up for disappointment. I don't mean to burst your bubble, really. It's great to have an epiphany like you just experienced. It can be very liberating.

It's the me who is open and warm and fearless and inspirational and honest and kind and smart and funny and wonderful.
You probably already have these great qualities, just waiting to be realized. I'm an idealist at heart, as well. I had to be pragmatic about my sobriety. Look at the stars, the trees, the mountains. Could you have done any of that under your own power? That's a power greater than yourself.

Keep searching your soul!

Define G•d as you see fit. It doesn't have to be the traditional Judeo-Christian definition. It can be Earth Goddess Gaia if you want. Have fun. Create your own god...and be faithful to it.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know that many people believe in an intelligent creator. However, I do not. This is an EXTREMELY stable belief of mine. I kind of hesitated about posting this on the open forum because I knew I would get responses telling me that there is, indeed, a God. I know who I am and I am very secure in my lack of religious beliefs. But I will NEVER try to dissuade someone from believing in what they believe in. I posted this because I know that there are others who believe as I do, and I hope that my 'clarification' might help them find some clarity as well.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midas2 View Post
Look at the stars, the trees, the mountains. Could you have done any of that under your own power? That's a power greater than yourself.
The BB has this to say about that

We finally saw that faith in some kind of God was a
part of our make-up, just as much as the feeling we have
for a friend. Sometimes we had to search fearlessly, but
He was there. He was as much a fact as we were. We
found the Great Reality deep down within us. In the last
analysis it is only there that He may be found
. It was so
with us.
Surce:Alcoholics Anonymous
First Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 11-02-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Source Added
Old 11-02-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I comepletely understand that.
Good for you.
Quit hiding and let that light shine.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Right on ClimbingUP

I'm inclined to think along the same lines. I guess if I were to identify a higher power it would be my authentic self. The potential that resides with in my very nature, an intuitive power that struggled for release when I was suppressing it with drugs, fear, insecurity, selfishness, self-loathing, etc.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClimbingUP View Post
I know that many people believe in an intelligent creator. However, I do not. This is an EXTREMELY stable belief of mine. I kind of hesitated about posting this on the open forum because I knew I would get responses telling me that there is, indeed, a God. I know who I am and I am very secure in my lack of religious beliefs. But I will NEVER try to dissuade someone from believing in what they believe in. I posted this because I know that there are others who believe as I do, and I hope that my 'clarification' might help them find some clarity as well.
I'm not knocking your beliefs. I'm not arguing whether there's a gawd or not. It's important to differentiate between "spiritual" & "religious". You have a right to believe that there isn't a god. The Secular Recovery forum might be a good place to carry this discussion further. (just a suggestion, btw).
Old 11-02-2008, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I don't see why non-theistic people should have to do mental gymnastics in an attempt to fit a model that wasn't made to fit them.

Last edited by doorknob; 11-02-2008 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope that my 'clarification' might help them find some clarity as well.
You're letting your light shine. That's what matters most.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Midas--I completely understand that AA places an emphasis on spirituality versus a particular religious belief. The thing is, I do not believe in any kind of organizing, out-of-body power that influences my thoughts or actions. I'm not spiritual if the definition of spiritual means that there is a power outside of myself that influences my actions. I believe that every human has imbued within himself or herself all of the power that they will ever need. We become corrupted when we lose contact with our 'genuine self' (thanks for the term Zencat).

I know that many people absolutely don't understand where I'm coming from. They have a hard time understanding how I can find peace in my beliefs without the benefit of a higher power. I know that when people council me to keep searching my soul for something outside myself, that it comes from a good place in them. Although, it does come across as condescending when you tell me to keep on searching for a spiritual path after I've explained that I do not believe in one. You're basically calling into question the validity of my viewpoint. It's okay that you don't understand where I'm coming from. Just realize that people who reject the 'spiritual' aspect of AA often do it with as much soul searching and thought as those who choose another path.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

* Midas exits stage left (and nearly trips over the props) * I didn't mean to sound condescending. Sorry.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Midas--I really didn't want to come across as mean or nasty. It's hard to control how your words come out in an online forum. I do appreciate your viewpoint. But I think it's also important for 'spiritual' people to realize that secular folks often spend years reflecting on their beliefs and values and truly believe that they are already on the right path.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Climbing up,

I think your HP is just fine and I would never dream of questioning it. Don't let those that do get in the way of your chosen program of recovery,or your sobriety.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

climbingup...It matters very little what others think of your "hp", it matters most what you believe. I like your thoughts regarding the "ideal you", it is a wonderful goal to become all that you are meant to be.

DK you are not stubborn...you are smart to not base your sobriety on theology you have no belief in. It has been proven again and again that sobriety has nothing to do with any sort of higher power...it is an inside job.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

ClimbingUp,

You sound like you have a firm belief system and that you have a Higher Power that works for you.

That's great!
Old 11-02-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I can't share on a book I have not read
I can't share on how someone else defines
God or no God....

I do so hope everyone who desires to live in
healthy joyous sobriety finds their way.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Get in !!!!!

Nevermind, this post is for my own purposes.

Get in !!!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Nice thought provoking string!

This makes me think of only one thing - do whatever it takes to get and remain sober. If your concept of a higher power works and you remain sober - stick with it. Recovery is not a religion it is a process.

Thanks for posting!

:HONYnewyear025firew
Old 11-02-2008, 11:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I've been reading an awesome book called Healing the Shame That Binds You and the author talks a lot about the healing power of AA. Everytime I would read the line 'surrender yourself to God as you understand God' I would get a little stuck. I don't believe in God. I don't believe that there is a power outside of myself operating on my actions. So, I had to stop and try to reconcile my viewpoint.

And then it became to clear to me--my Higher Power is me. Okay, not just me. But me in my 'idealized' form. It's the me that I aspire to be. It's the me who is open and warm and fearless and inspirational and honest and kind and smart and funny and wonderful. It's the me that I hide away behind defenses so that she doesn't get hurt. She's in there though, and I need to live up to who she can be. Wow, that makes me feel so much better!!
I'm so glad you feel better. Please know you are welcome in our Secular 12 Step Recovery forum here at SR. Its a great place to discover you are not alone.