Notices

Anyone using or have tried Campral or something like it?...

Old 11-01-2008, 08:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone using or have tried Campral or something like it?...

I am failing badly with AA and I think a combintion might be necessry. Antabuse really scares me so I am hoping for a med that helps with craving while I work on the reasons that made me turn into an alcoholic. Sure, it's a disease but I helped it out
Thanks!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

I took Campral for a few months when I first stopped drinking. Personally, I didn't notice any effect. I eventually stopped taking it and didn't notice a change. I know it helps a lot of people with cravings, though. I'd say discuss it with your doctor!

For me what worked was a combination of face-to-face meetings, this forum, and one-on-one work with a counselor.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like something you should really discuss with your doctor. You want to be sure to know any and all side effects before you begin any regiment. Good luck with your search.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A discussion with your doctor would be a good idea. I took Campral for several months. It did help with cravings tho I still relapsed several times while taking it. My shrink put me on it and told me it is also supposed to help restore the brain's natural chemical balance after being thrown out of whack by drinking.

Funny tho, at first I was taking it and still relapsing, but after I decided I truly wanted to be sober more than I wanted to drink, I was able to stay sober. I think the combination of Campral, face to face meetings/sponsor support, and this forum, along with any other support systems you may have, will help you a lot.

:ghug3
Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann

Naltraxone

I took Naltraxone. I discussed this at length with my Dr. I too, was afraid of the Antabuse. It definately helps with the cravings. There are none. At least for me there were not. Although you are very thirsty and dry mouthed. It makes the taste of alcohol repulsive.(also Diet Coke - which was almost worse than no alchohol!!) However, you can still drink on it. There fore it is ultimately, a choice YOU have to make. I don't take it any longer, but it was a good first step for me. It is where I discovered that behavior and cravings are two different things.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took Campral for about 3 months...i felt it really helped the first month but then I kept relapsing and finally I just quit taking it.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I took both Campral and Naltrexone. Obviously you would need to talk with your doctor about what is best for you. Personally, I found that the Naltrexone worked better for me than the campral. It did help cut down on cravings, but it is ultimately up to you to make the choice to not use.

Also, I had good luck with inpatient rehab - you may want to consider that option or outpatient rehab if you keep relapsing. I found it to be a good foundation for sobriety. But quickly learned that AA is essential for me after rehab.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Expert Beginner

Im currently on Naltrexone also, and I can guarantee that I'd not be able to have cut down on my drinking without it. It helped me realise that my drinking stems more from habbit and my lifestyle (after a major traumatic event in 2004, I gave up everything more or less) and combined with counseling and ongoing therapy, I absolutely feel confident about my future, something I never felt when trying to give up alone.

Campral (acamprosate) for me was about as useful as tic-tacs.

Naltrexone did have some 'familiar' side effects at first. It gave me an almost contented feeling, much like the feeling I'd get when I'd take any dopamine agonist (read illegal) only far far less and only really noticable since I recognised it. But this only lasted a week and a half or so.

There have been 2 occasions where I've not been able to get my rx on time, and have had to go a week without it, and I can certainly say that in my case, the cravings for alcohol increased as did my drinking.

And yes, you can easily drink on Nalt. However the taste is very altered, and you really do get no where near the satisfaction from it that you would otherwise get. It really does seem, in my case, to make me think thrice about even buying alcohol because I recall the taste and nasty ickiness that it elicits.

I know I can't be on it forever, and Australia was even whispering about rethinking it's use as an Alcohol dependency treatment aid (Damn you rudd) but I hope to be on it at least until I know I can swim in the ocean without fear of drowning, rather than just wade around confidently with people watching me from the shore.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

For me, I tried just about everything...campral, vivitrol, etc. (did not try anabuse). For me, I only stopped drinking with AA, Celebrate Recovery, and counseling. AND the biggest thing for me was....when I was willing to go to ANY lengths..
Old 11-29-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

Hi ghal,

Two things come to mind off the bat..........

1. If you are not picking up and using (alc or drugs) - You are not failing!!!

2. For me, I may never know the "reasons" I turned into an alcoholic. Many people don't -- We just are!!

It is suggested that doing step work with a sponsor WHO YOU TRUST will help in understanding why we do what we do and to get awareness of our motives and character behind drinking.

You are a success because you have not used and picked-up today! Pat yourself on the back!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It's time to change!

About the question with Campral.

I haven't tried it personally, however several people I know have. They don't really see a difference but take it anyway as it's just the "knowing" that it may help keeps them taking it. Some have drank anyways on it. Don't know.

Antabuse is great and an assurance that there is no way possible I will drink while taking it. I tried 1 beer and a shot, and I was sicker than sick! It's not for everyone and not for long term use, but can be a helpful additive while starting sobriety or during major trying times. Just a thought.