this is very hard please help!

Old 10-31-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

this is very hard please help!

i'm on my third day off vicodin what can i expect
Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

It depends on how much you were using. If it's not a huge amount you usually get the hot cold sweats, not wanting to eat for a bit. But if you are on the third day the worst is over. Keep hydrated, take a multivitamin. If you get leg cramps take a motrin.
Keep off you will feel great as the week ends. It's not worth the addiction. Good luck and keep coming back.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The second day is always my hardest coming off painkillers. The third day isn't as hard but it's still not fun. I'm right with you actually. I'm lucky, it hasn't been too bad at all. I just have the restless legs at night, no appetite and am sleeping very lightly. But I'm a light sleeper anyway. Do you want to share more like how much you've been taking? I think that makes a big difference on how much you're going to suffer. Thinking of you tonight. Hoping you'll find some peace.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR!:ghug

I do not have any experience to share with you as my problem was with alcohol but you have recieved some great replies already.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

There might be some good info on that issue on the Substance Abusers forum. Take a look around over there and see what you can find. My addiction was alcohol so I don't know about pills. But lots of others here have experience and they can answer your questions. Best of luck to you. Take it one day at a time and you'll start feeling better!

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 11-01-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Vicodaniel has a thread on Substance Abuse. He tapered, then went to detox. But it is just another opiate, so you can get advice and support from most of the people there.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Chopper)))

How are you doing today?

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 11-02-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i'd like to thank you all for your advice and help. this is day four off pain killers i feel lots of anxiety today. just a little background i'm 25 years old. i was taking 6-12 vicodin a day for a year. like i said i feeling alot of anxiety and i'm craving a pill today. i'd like to know how long the anxiety and craving last because the craving is overwhelming today if anybody can offer some advice or some helping words i'd really appreciate it.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Physically, you are going to start feeling better soon. Anxiety and depression could be a problem as well as insomnia. They last longer.

You might want to look up some of us on the Substance Abuse forum - there are many, many who have done this and there is a lot of good advice for coping with short and long term opiate withdrawal.

As for cravings, I'll let you know when mine stop. I'm one and a half months in with a relapse or three. I do go to meetings and I wouldn't have made it this far without that and SR.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chopper122 View Post
i'd like to thank you all for your advice and help. this is day four off pain killers i feel lots of anxiety today. just a little background i'm 25 years old. i was taking 6-12 vicodin a day for a year. like i said i feeling alot of anxiety and i'm craving a pill today. i'd like to know how long the anxiety and craving last because the craving is overwhelming today if anybody can offer some advice or some helping words i'd really appreciate it.

Being heavily addicted to codeine since i was in my early 20's and getting off them when I was about 25 was a crazy withdrawl process. The cravings somedays were unbearable, but I tried to keep my mind off the cravings with online gaming, reading, or just going for a simple walk with my mp3 player.
Chopper..please believe me, the cravings WILL go away, and you're body will start feeling incredible! I promise.