Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Approaching 12 days and I'm starting to play mind games... UGH

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi all... Tomorrow is day 12 of sobriety. I am feeling good... tired, yet have much more energy now that I'm sober. I wake up every morning with a smile because I know I made it one more day. I even bounce around saying... I'm sober... haha... it's a great visual, if only you could see me doing it!!

Today I am not going to drink... I feel strong! However, I know my body is starting to wonder where the alcohol is....if that makes sense?! I don't want to drink... I know this. I love being sober. I hate what drinking has done to me the last 15 years. I need to stop thinking down the road and take one day at a time. Every time I think about the holidays, and/or our Spring vacation coming up(cruise with family) I wonder how I will be than. Why wonder Shannon? ONE DAY AT A TIME, right??!!! haha... I can say it, but for some reason I'm just off today. I don't know, maybe it's becuase I have my monthly friend and my emotions are all over the place ((((:wtf2)))) just need your support, I guess!

Thanks for listening!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shan,

It's normal at the point you are for the addict mind to mess with you. I think it's because it fears that you will win this one. It's losing and it's not going down without a fight.

Don't let yourself get overwhelmed with thoughts of Thanksgiving, Christmas, holidays. You will be stronger by then and able to deal with things.

Hang in there, you're doing great!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know it's easier said than done, but just stay in the day. What a great day, too! Day 12! You're doing awesome and I'm so glad you're on the boards and feeling good, if nervous about the future. *hugs*
Old 10-30-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shannon

yeah - its really important to stay in the day - but its really hard too cos we tend to gallop ahead instinctively. Unfortunately recovery is a looooong process - it tends to work on its own timetable - something else I think many of us aren't that good at.

I still find the best way is to reduce the task to its basic simplicity - make a commitment 'I will not drink today' - then repeat that tomorrow

It's simple, but sometimes not easy...but I find it does work - if you stay committed - and post here for help

good luck!
D
Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had different reactions to sobriety. The euphoria phase: just thinking that every moment is amazing. But, well, that feeling comes and goes. Some days, I just feel "flat": not euphoric, but not anywhere near the depths of despair I felt drinking.
It is good to avoid thinking down the road, but it is also good to make a plan. I was just thinking today that I am making plans for the next year, 5 years, 10 years. I never planned longer than the next 20 minutes when I was drinking.
Worrying about vacations? One thing that sobriety has given me is a new way of thinking: I always used to think that I had to provide every solution, down to the last detail. But, sometimes external forces, life provides unexpected solutions.
When I think about vacations, I'm kind of looking forward to them being sober. A lot of time during my last few vacations was wasted by drinking or recovering from drinking. I'm really looking forward to my next vacation because I have a feeling I will be utilizing my time a lot better!
Old 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You ask and you shall receive - support is here. You are on day 12 and you can do what you have been doing for the next 12 days too. As far as it being the time for your friend to visit, you will have emotions all over the place and they do get ugly. I have noticed how intense it is every month, but I realize the reason and my husband grins and bears it (well maybe not grinning, but he bears it). Keep posting and keep plugging. "Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming." Dora from Nemo. I have a 5 year old - so sorry.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

On your cruise, I recently found out that basically every cruise has a "friends of Bill W" group on it for AA members. I don't know if you do AA or not but this may help you on the cruise.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all... I'm already feeling better just by reading your posts. I knew by just getting out my thoughts to you fine folks, I was sure to start feeling better, even if it's just a little bit.

I have a 2 1/2 year old son... he is entertaining me right now... but I feel bad because I'm wishing for 8:30 to come quickly so after I put him to bed, I can go to bed myself... than wake up tomorrow and it will be a brand new day! And maybe I won't be in this funk.

Hugs
Old 10-30-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That is such a great insight, shan! Moods being temporary, that is. Thanks for the reminder. Tomorrow's a new day.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks SS... Today is a new day and I feel much better... THANK GOODNESS. The fact that it's Friday helps, i'm sure. I have made great plans for tomorrow morning with one of my best friends and her daughter to go to a park. And Sunday I'm hosting a chili cookoff with some friends. Wish me luck!

Happy Halloween all! :wave
Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Shan It's good to hear that you're feeling better. Seems like you have a busy weekend lined up. Looking ahead is always a good idea, especially when you include supportive people in your plans... Enjoy!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Shannon,

i've really been struggling these last few days too. i couldn't figure out what was wrong with me on wednesday, i was just so up and down all day with my emotions.... and then yesterday i just felt so flat like another member described. trying to focus on listening to my body and taking care of myself though. my therapist also suggested indulging in some candy since we are craving sugar as we withdrawl from alcohol. not much i can say helps, i know this... but at least we are all in this together and there is strength in numbers!! good job on 12 days... we are almost to 2 weeks and that feels fantastic!!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good going Shannon,
I think it is only natural to think ahead, every possible stumbling block I came across this year I breezed through.As you know, just concentrate on today and everything else will just come and go.
Hope you have a good weekend.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you are feeling better Shannon. Sounds like you have got some fun scheduled for your weekend. You know for me I tell myself sometimes at night, When all else fails go to bed. Then I do with a book or watch a movie.
I find those horrible cravings will go away if I focus on something else, anything else for just a little while.

You have 12 days today. Awesome. There is no going back for us, ok?
Just not an option for the next twenty four hours.