Notices

Going to first AA meeting tonight...

Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to first AA meeting tonight...

I have been struggling with alcohol for some time now. I guess I would be what you call "functioning". I can go days without alcohol (wine) then drink a whole bottle in one evening (like I did last night).

I have gotten to the point where I have so much guilt and shame and I wake up in the middle of the night to pour the bottle down the sink - only to go out the next day and do the same thing all over again -- I guess this is called insanity? This morning I felt horrible and have not felt good all day. Normally, this would keep me from the wine -- until the next time....

I have been doing this in secret -- though I am a single mother of a 10 year old son - and I put the wine into a plastic cup just so my son won't see. I take the empty bottles to the trash....this is a vicious cycle.

My boyfriend of more than a year doesn't even know -- when we're together, I don't drink like that. We go almost a week without seeing each other because we live 60 miles a part and we both have kids.

I came to the realization about 10 days ago that "whatever is done in secret will be exposed". I finally told my mom, my dad and my best friend in the hopes of being accountable. It was a huge relief to finally tell people -- they say that's the hardest part. They all told me the same thing -- call if I wanted to drink. Last night, I chose not to call.

My dad is an alcoholic and has been sober for 36 of the 38 years of my life. He told me to get to a meeting TONIGHT.

Praise the Lord that I found a closed women's group that meets tonight at 7:00 p.m.! I guess that's the way the Lord works -- always knowing what we need and when we need it.

I can't do this alone any more....all prayers and advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Well done - you've taken an important step. Your drinking was very like mine. I used to drink in coffee cups to hide it, take alcohol in water bottles to the park when I took my little girl there.

I've never told my parents, but my kids know I go to AA. It is a wonderful fellowship!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You remind me much of myself... I could go a few days without drinking, or even a whole week... but the weekend I would make up for loss time big time and drink uncontrobably! I am so glad you are apart of this site! Keep coming back and posting... it's been a lifesaver for me, I hope it can be for you too!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Keep going to those meetings and you will never be alone again. Prayers going out for your continued recovery!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was a secret drinker for many years. It seems to be a common behavior. Sounds like you have a great support system with some great advice.

ed
Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you are taking the first step. You are on your way to a better way of life. It is for me. I stuck on to the 9th step promises in the beginning of my sobriety. Now, I am able to believe and live it. I will pray and hope for your success. Keep posting about your progress. It will be great to hear about your progress. Best wishes and happy sobriety!
Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job for recognizing you have a problem and doing something about it before it gets out of hand and controls and ruins your life! I have 6 months and 1 week of sobriety and I can't tell you how much better I feel! I got a DUI in April and they took me to jail for 22 hours and that is where I finally surrendered and became willing to do ANYTHING to climb out of the he11 of alcoholism!

I called a treatment center the very next day and did 4 months of Intensive Outpatient Treatment which basically saved my life. It was 3 nights a week for 3 hours. In addition to treatment, I went to a meeting every single day for the first 4 months and now do 5-6 per week. It was a lot of hard work, but it was soooo worth it.

My husband is happier and my 3 kids are like different people. They are 10, 7 and 5. I can't believe how much my drinking was hurting them. I too, would drink out of cups and hide it, but they knew. Kids know these things! All three kids told me they knew I was up to something strange. I am sure your son knows too.

I am very proud of you for taking the first step. That is amazing that your dad has so much sobriety. He can help you. I never drank every day either. I was a binge drinker. I could go days, weeks and even a month without drinking and then all of a sudden I would get plastered! I learned in AA and treatment that it is not how much and how often we drink, it is what happens when we drink.
Good luck. Send me a PM anytime! :praying
Old 10-30-2008, 03:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you so much for sharing this. it was touching and inspiring

i cant wait to hear about your first meeting and whatever is coming in your future.

keep up the good work