Notices

moving monday and scared to live on my own

Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

moving monday and scared to live on my own

sober is easy but the bipolar and anorexia are out of control. It's going to be so quiet and lonely.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Moving is always a stressful time and living on your own is bound to be scary for you.

Are you on medication for your bipolar disorder?

Anorexia is an addiction and if you feel out of control, can you talk to your dr or do you have any support group?

You can always post here and read and know that you are not alone.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
believer

Being alone isn't easy. But there are good sides to it. The fact your are with yourself is good. You can be a company to yourself. You'll never be alone counting on you.

Make sure you have support. And Sr is here 24/7 like Anna said.

We're here for you, and you'll be there for you.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

MX.....(((hugs)))...I know you will be just fine...we are all here for you.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Living alone ROCKS!!

You can do what you want, when you want and how you want. For instance, I had insominia last night..... I was able to watch a movie at 3 am without feeling like the noise was keeping someone up.

Also, it's great when you had Mexican food for dinner.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know that I have myself but thats not a good thing as I'm in rough shape. I'm taking meds going to my docs and doing dbt. but things are still hard.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I haven't ever been diagnosed Bipolar but I have read much about it.
I do have mood swings though. BAD mood swings. I learned more about them and how to control them when I lived alone. That may not make sense to some but WHEN you live alone, you can't blame your emotions on someone else. There wasn't that roommate, boyfriend or family member to blame my emotions on.
Trust me. You will learn so much about you. And you don't have to be lonely....friends are always close. How about a pet??? Take up a new hobby...

My point is...don't be scared, embrace it. ((hugs))
Old 10-29-2008, 01:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hey mx,

A few years ago my ex booted me out of the big home where we lived with our children. I moved into a one bedroom apartment. It was the first time I'd been alone in 11 years. I missed my kids terribly on the nights I didn't have custody, it was also the last time I saw our two dogs. I was taking anti-depressants for the first time and I was newly sober.

I won't lie to you, it was hard, maybe one of the toughest things I've ever faced in my life. But looking back it was an awesome learning and growth experience for me. It gave me the time to go to LOTS of AA meetings and to work on my recovery. When I was tired I had all the time I wanted to rest. It also gave me the freedom to exercise my mind and body.

I needed that time for my recovery, I'm still grateful for those moments alone and I try to use the time to work on me.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well put Astro if I may so myself!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Astro's point is great and I can second similiar expereiences at present, that what I saw as simply difficult turns out to be the greatest learning and growing experience.

Kevn
Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've lived with others and I"ve lived alone. I prefer alone, tho I'm now alone for the first time in a long while, since my eldest was born 32 yrs ago. It's an adjustment, for sure, but it can be very rewarding. And it's convenient too, as was said, you can watch movies or do whatever without fear of disturbing anyone else.

Do you like cats and/or dogs? I'd be lost without my dogs and cats, that's for sure. Not everyone is suited to living with a pet or pets, but for those who love dogs/cats, they can be wonderful company. It can also be a good rescue for a lonely dog or cat, if you're into rescuing animals.

I understand you're scared to be alone, but it doesn't have to be all bad. There are good and bad to both living with someone else and living alone. Do you have a strong social support network? If you have good friends, you're never truly alone. And do'nt forget, you have your own company, always, whether living alone or not.

I wish for the best for you, and do come here anytime you're lonely. We're good company and are here to support you.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, I've always had problems living on my own, but now that I look back, it could have been a great time if I had been sober. Having a place to yourself, with the sence of independence and freedom that it brings can be very good for you. All I can say is focus on the positive and to heck with the negative.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like living alone. I have my dog, and that's all I need. I know in my heart that I have everything that I need for today. So, in this, I try to be content. I just need, today, and every day, to get rid of the "friend in the bottle" that's kept me company!!! Not a very good friend, at all.

Honu
Old 10-29-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

it will all work out mx

and hey, were here for you...
Old 10-29-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Cant add anything else...

Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In some ways I do want this and I know it will be good for me so I guess just like being sober I'll take it one day at a time

thank you all for being here for me
Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Best of luck MX, as others have said a pet is a great companion.
I lived on my own for 7 years and when you get the balance right it is a good way to live. Suit yourself and always make sure you have a good network of friends you can rely on.
Old 10-31-2008, 12:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think waiting to move may kill me I think once I have things will settle down the what if's will go away. In a panic right now