Notices

Day 17 - Always hungry.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17 - Always hungry.

Can't seem to stop eating since stopping drinking - especially sweet things which I don't normally eat - why is this? Anybody had the same thing?:wtf2
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From my experience, it is absolutely normal, and expected. The alcohol you have been drinking is calories, and carbohydrates. When you remove this, and after the withdrawals from the alcohol are over, your body craves the carbs. When my ex was in rehab, they had bowls and bowls of candy, gummie bears, etc., and it was all free for the patients. Most, however, carried their own peanut m & m's. That seemed to be the favorite. Also, they provided for free (I'll never understand this one), cigarettes. I guess they wanted them to concentrate on one addiction at a time.

So, it will pass. If you are concerned about weight, I'd probably go for the gummie bears or something. Or, just indulge yourself to what ever you like. You are being good to yourself by being sober, and if you need to indulge a sweet craving, have at it! Because, it does pass.

Anyone else have thoughts on this one?

Honu
Old 10-29-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Honu - glad it's not just me. Any idea how long it goes on for?
Old 10-29-2008, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had the same concerns. Your body is after what it needs. Have fun with it while it lasts General. I do still sugar binge once in a while (peanut M&M's)

congrates on your 17 days sober

Ed
Old 10-29-2008, 05:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

alchohol has a high sugar content so that is where the sweet craving comes from, however...I really recommend working on getting proper nutreitien with carbs that break down slowly instead of sugar which will send your blood sugars up and down like a rollercoaster..thus I found the craving it.

Eating a peice of bread along with the peice of candy...the candy gives you an instent perk of sugar high but the bread will help last a long time and should stop the sugar cravings over time as you eat proper carbs on a regular basis.

Thats what works for me when i am willing to do it...also be careful if you are diabetic about htis stuff!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 103 here and still crave sugar! Nestle crunch bars are my
current favorite. I guess it depends on the individual but I was told this would go on for awhile. Trying to take care of my teeth and not worry about it.
Great job on 17 days, and it gets better!
I still felt like crap at 17 days actually, it took me awhile to get feeling good and now I have a sinus infection I'm on amoxicillin for so it's weird being sick for the first time sober.
Ok I'm done whining.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey, Great advice from a lady dressed as candy corn! Love the costume, btw.

General, if you can get a copy of "Under the Influence" there is a lot of information about the nutritional factor of alcohol withdrawal, hypoglycemia and samples of a hypoglycemic diet. Our bodies have used the alcohol for energy and calories and bi-passed any nutrition we tried to ingest because the alcohol was quicker to process. Your body is still craving high energy in quick forms (sugar).

Soooo....try eating a spinach salad with warm bacon dressing before you saddle up to the cheesecake!

I eat several mini meals to regulate my sugar. In the morning, a banana with coffee, then 30 - 40 minutes later a cereal bar or cereal, then 30 - 40 minutes later yogurt w/granola or fruit. That holds me all morning until lunch.

Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 10-29-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My nutrition was horrible while I was living on white wine. I too was always hungry after getting off the alcohol and craved sugar in any form. It does go away with time, but it's just your body craving the sugar high it used to get from alcohol. I also suggest eating as healthy as you can, to get your digestive system back on track. This too shall pass and you will get back to normal eating as your health improves.

:ghug3
Old 10-29-2008, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys - I am actually reading 'Under the influence' at the moment but I haven't got to the bit about nutrition yet.

Funny, since I drank about 900 cals./day in wine I expected one good side-effect of stopping to be weight loss - about 2lbs. a week - no chance.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Weight loss may yet happen, just give yourself time to normalize and get healthy first. It does get better.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

My scales are not working. I don't know if I lost weight, but I lost bloat. My clothes fit better. I started exercising more and I am getting more toned.

Stay strong!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Everytime I have stopped drinking, whether it be a day or a month I ATE! Not so much sugar but just food in general. Going through it again now and I just stopped a few days ago. Perfectly normal from my experience. They way I look at it, food is better than booze for me right now. I can take care of the food issue with exercise and time.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, I guess you got your answers! It does pass, and I guess it just depends on your body, and how well it starts adapting to good things.

I would say fill yourself with healthy snacks, plenty of protein, and fruits and vegies, and whole grains. If you still crave the sweets AFTER you've eaten well all day, then, I say, go for it. Buy the little bags of m & m's, made for Halloween!!! Eat one bag!

I don't know how many calories I drank, but, a jug of Red wine was a daily thing. That's about 2 regular bottles/day. I have always been a good eater, and the calories from the wine just made me fat. But, my eating has always been healthy. I am looking forward to losing weight, too.

So, congratulations, and stick with it. We're all in this together!

Honu
Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

lol Snickers ...yes it's normal.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My abf hits the ice-cream faster than a locust plague, within a week of no beer. I mean HITS, as he can go thru a 2 litre tub a day. Thank God it eases off after a couple of weeks, when he may have 1 serve a day.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks all - I had some porridge this morning following the advice given that it's slow-release carbohydrate and will keep my blood sugar level instead of peaking and then crashing leading to sweet food craving.

Seems to be working so far - it's mid-morning and I'm definitely not hungry.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep us posted! Let's see how it works for you, General!

Honu
Old 10-30-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Just got a list of low GI foods off the internet.

Seems to be working at present.