Divorce in California

Old 10-28-2008, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Divorce in California

I am so unsure of myself. Not even sure if I ever have been sure of myself. I think I have always pretty much second guessed myself and relied on one man or another, my whole life. My father passed away and left me a fairly large sum of money. It’s not a fortune, but I think it would be enough to put a good down payment on a fixer upper in my town.
I have been wanting to get away from my AH for years. Now it looks like I have the means to do so. I just have to work up the guts to take the steps. I have used the not having enough money to keep me stuck for so long. Now my head is telling me the economy is so crazy that it’s not a good time to take a risk… hold onto the money and wait until things look better blah blah blah… talk about quacking!. How does one even go about a divorce in California? I would think it would be best to be divorced before buying any property. Any words of experience out there?
Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

Keep that money separate from your joint checking account. Keep it in an account with only your name on it. I know nothing about a Ca divorce, but I know keeping that money separate couldn't hurt.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I just got divorced in California. I would suggest contacting an attorney and requesting a consultation. The first hour is normally free.

As suggested, I'd keep the money separate with only your name and signature on the account.

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

CA is a community property state so do NOT mingle those funds into your personal account!
You can keep those fund as an inheritance in California, just keep separate and do not spend yet!
Please contact an atty for a consultation. In the meantime,
I would start doing a little research for yourself
Divorce - LegalZoom.com
Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DII

Started the process in CA this week. Lot's of information on the link below.

What should I know about Divorce and Custody?
Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep the money completely separate in an account in your own name and do not purchase anything with it and consult an attorney of course.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LisaWayne View Post
I am so unsure of myself. Not even sure if I ever have been sure of myself. I think I have always pretty much second guessed myself and relied on one man or another, my whole life. My father passed away and left me a fairly large sum of money. It’s not a fortune, but I think it would be enough to put a good down payment on a fixer upper in my town.
I have been wanting to get away from my AH for years. Now it looks like I have the means to do so. I just have to work up the guts to take the steps. I have used the not having enough money to keep me stuck for so long. Now my head is telling me the economy is so crazy that it’s not a good time to take a risk… hold onto the money and wait until things look better blah blah blah… talk about quacking!. How does one even go about a divorce in California? I would think it would be best to be divorced before buying any property. Any words of experience out there?
I can't add much to what has already been said. Definitely keep it separate. Consult with a lawyer. You might consider putting in a trust fund or something like that to make sure he can't touch it. Protect it well and best of luck!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Divorce is a process. Educate yourself and take it step by step. Prepare yourself to grieve. You sound smart and have been handed a get out of jail card
Unfortunately it isn't free. It costs you time to grieve
Be good to yourself.
I wish you well