Notices

Acknowledging that I have a problem...

Old 10-28-2008, 02:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acknowledging that I have a problem...

I have a drinking problem and breaking off with my fiancee compounded it, I dont want to use the break up as an excuse. It just got worst since then. I am lucky to have found this forum. I will go through the published articles before commenting.

My problem is I tend to drink until I am drunk and drinking gives me a temporary or a false feeling that I am okay and strong. I drink alone, prior to this it was just two times a week, nowd ays being sober for more then 5 days is a big achievement!! Its something that I do when I am down or when emotionally troubled. I have come to realize that it is getting worst and eventually it will destroy me, my reputation and my soul.

As of today I am going to stay sober and I am going to quit smoking as well (i just picked up this bad habit after the break up).

I have been reading the bible and spiritual books to help me overcome and to renew my faith as I back slided big time since then. I will try my best to avoid drinks and smoking.

Well I will try and keep trying till I have overcome this.

To the rest of members / readers; All the best and keep staying sober!!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

You drink a lot like I did, alone etc, and it took off after a break up. Many of us can't give up drinking and smoking at the same time, so don't beat yourself up about the cigs. The drinking is what will destroy your life.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah Ive had a simliar problem for some time now also...it had nothing to do with a foul breakup and more to do with physical migraines which led to social akwardness. Id wanna go out and hang with the fellas/ladies but I was always in pain...(I always had headaches..almost 24/7 for some years). It led to drinking and smoking pot and cigarettes alone...I have lots of sad memories from those times.

Now the headaches are gone... I still feel a bit rattled by the whole time period but my addiction is less about loathing and more about a physical need for alcohol these days. It sucks...I think I gotta quit cold turkey. I posted in the "Newcomers to Recovery" room if u wanna read more...!

Good luck to u! It sounds like u definitely have the right attitude...just like Peter Drucker said u got put it into action!!!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

john welcome to the family...

and never give up that hope...

good wishes

rz
Old 10-28-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Lots of great information and support here for you.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John,

Welcome!

I think spirituality plays a big part in recovery. Even before I began drinking, I had completely lost my spiritual connection.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome John! I come to this site every day now and it is helping me so much! We are here for you when you need us!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just stating to yourself that you have a problem is half the battle. An honest talk with your doctor may be a good idea, as withdrawal from alcohol can be dangerous as well as unpleasant. I'm glad you found our supportive international family. We share our experience strength and hope to help ourselves and others get and stay clean and sober.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 10-28-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi John,
The progressive nature of alcohol sure seems to work fast. Im new to recovery and to this forum as well. As with you, alcohol seemed to just take over my life and before I knew it, I couldn't find myself anymore! Welcome to SR. It has helped me alot! Good luck in your recovery.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A Big Thank You and A Welcomed Feeling

Hi there!

I certainly feel welcomed and motivated to stop my bad habits. I have now stayed away from drinks for about 48hrs and as for now stopped smoking. Prior to this I have tried AA and other websites but I have never felt the warmness and so many concerned responses.

Thank you for sharing some of your experience, it makes me feel that I am not the only one going through this problem. I love to drink and I drink with the purpose of getting drunk, I take shots after shots, beers after beers. When morning comes, I feel demoralized and a sense of insecure / jittery, then the cycle begins. I have come to realize that I am dependent on alcohol to give me that sense of positive feeling.

Sad to see parents worried about me and it’s not wise to waste all that years of parent's sacrifices to bring us up and in the end I destroy their happiness just because of alcohol and smoking. My family's love motivates me and all your advice certainly encourages me.

On smoking: Two years ago, I used to work with the number one cigarette company; I was in charge of Procurement for the AP region. I never smoked because after realizing what is inside cigarettes it made me feel this is not a good habit. I used to procure chemicals (glycerin, propylene glycol, and triacetine), adhesives, Ingredients: cocoa, honey, sugar, guar gum, cochise and many more materials. In meetings, packs of several types of cigarette are displayed for us to smoke just like candies, I never smoked and I was not happy that I am contributing to the detriment of society. So after 5 years of working I quit and joined a leading telecommunication company. My work has not been affected by my problem but I know if I don’t stop it will destroy all that years of hard work and sacrifices.

I thank you all for your kind encouragement and advise, countdown begins and many challenges ahead.

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.

He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Best regards,