Notices

Came here for help

Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Came here for help

Alcoholism is present on both sides of my family. I've had a tendency to drink too much at once since I was 18, but those times were few and far between.

Now, like many here, I am seeking help and a way to get out of this hell.

I won't go into thembarassing things I've done,.....but I would like to tell you how I got here, noting that I'm not excusing myself, but explaining how alcohol became a crutch.

About 8 years ago, my job became increasinglt stressful, my boss increasingly a power hungry arse. I started to drink in the evenings, began to get depressed (but didn't know what it was) and drank more to ease that feeling.

Then my mother got diagnosed with Cancer, which invited more alcohol, more depression. 2 months after my Mom died, my wife filed for divorce, and sudddenly not only was my Mom gone, but now my wife and kids. My wife was aslo drinking heavily, and we weren't happy. I'd plead with her to slow down, because I was trying desperately to. All our friends were heavy drinkers.

I almost lost my licence shortly after my wife left, but the Police Officer, God Bless him took me home instead.

My depression is getting better, but I'm still having troble with alcohol.

I convince myself that I've got ahold of it, and am controlling it now, but that's not true, and eventually the amount creeps back up.

I don't believe moderation can work for me.............right now I'm sipping on Vodka and water, sparingly to try and control the withdrawal symptoms and wean off.

I look forward to being a member here, and hope you can inspire me, and that later I can inspire others.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm brand new to this too. I'm on day 2. I'm just taking it one hour at a time. Congratulations on realizing that you have a problem, and welcome.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
getting there

Welcome to SR! You have come to a great place for support. There are tons of posts to read here and in the Alcoholism forum that will be helpful to you.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community!

Have you considered seeing a doctor about
your drinking habits and asking the best way to de tox?

Be both sober and safe...
Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I know that moderation never worked for me either, and I tried to make it work for a long time. It was actually a relief to finally let it go and say that was the end of it.

Alcohol is a depressant, and you may find that your depression clears up as you become sober. For me, the depression came long before the drinking, so I had to get that taken care before I could care enough to stop drinking. If your depression doesn't clear up with sobriety, you can always talk to your dr.

And, talking to your dr before you stop drinking is always a good idea. Detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Old 10-27-2008, 05:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Red face Thanks everyone

I have considered going to the Doctor, but embarrassment has so far prvented it. I have manged 2 times in the past year to quit on my own, once for a week, once for a month this March.

I get feeling SO great, and then figure, You know, buying 6 beer wouldn't hurt............and you all know where that goes.

I really want more from my life, and am looking forward to trying to quit. Tired of shaking, sweating, not sleeping, ulcers and not totally remembering the details of the weekends with my children. I want more.

I will keep you all posted.:praying
Old 10-27-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The physical withdrawal is very unpleasant, but doesn't last too long - a few days, but once you get thru that it slowly starts to get better. WHatever you do, don't give up! I kept trying and failing but I finally got it right. You can too! You are smart to know what is the best course of action. I wish you the best and welcome you to a wonderful place!:ghug3
Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 10-27-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good to see you here at SR
Old 10-28-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Not a bad night.

Well guys,

I had fears about last night. I know, and FEAR all the symptoms of withdrawal. Yesterday after work I sipped 2-3 ounces of vodka, mixed very weak with water, from 5 until midnight.

I am also taking an herbal product called Valerian that helps calm the nerves.
I had a pretty good night! A bit of sweating, woke up once or twice, but was able to get back to sleep. Slept from Midnight until 6am. Things went much better than they have other times.

Keep wishing me luck.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have a great day!
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I am on day 9 of sobriety... and I feel amazing! You have realized that you have become powerless to alcohol. The best thing you can do now is take 1 minute at a time, 1 hour at a time ,and one day at a time. You can do this... we are here for you!

Have a great day!
Old 10-31-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Doing pretty good!!

Hey guys/gals, 3 days ago , I sipped the last 3 oz of vodka while trying to wean off.

Wednesday was Day 1 with no alcohol, yesterday was day 2, and today hopefully, will be day 3!!

Had a bit of a headach this am, but may not be related. Overall, I'm feeling pretty good!!:ghug3
Old 10-31-2008, 06:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say "welcome" and give you a (((hug)))!

I'm am SO SORRY for all you've been through.

Congratulations on your success these past few days! :) That WONDERFUL! :)

You CAN do this!
Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congratulations on weaning yourself off succesfully Hopefully, this third day will mark the beginning of a new life for you. You mentioned stuff that needs attention, so it's good to know that you're on your way already. Try to learn from the past, keep reading, keep posting, and smile a lot
Old 10-31-2008, 06:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

3 days is FANTASTIC... Congratulations!!!!! I know for me it's the weekends that are the hardest... but my plan is to keep coming here, reading and posting all weekend. The support we get here is so awesome!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :ghug3
Old 10-31-2008, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 3 days filled with sober sanity. I hope you can continue this cycle through the weekend. Make a list of the reasons your quitting and refer to it when you're weak. Come to SR and post before having a drink and ask for support. You already have started that. You are on the right road my friend.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 3! you are one day ahead of me. This sure has been the place for me to come. Somehow sharing it makes it possible. I am sure I wouldn't be trying so hard if it wern't for the people here. As one newcomer to another, welcome!
Old 10-31-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Welcome this site is full of wonderful folks with great advice. It saved my life during the first few weeks. I was on here all the time it was the only thing that kept me from drinking. Now 6+ months later I am more than honored to welcome any and all newcomers. The days seem very long at first but now I can't seem to find the time to get all my things done. I owe it all to my sobriety and my program. Sure somedays life still sucks but overall every day is better and better!