???'s for any ex users

Old 10-26-2008, 03:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

???'s for any ex users

How long did it take before your mind and decision making capabilites returned to what they were before you were abusing substances?
Old 10-26-2008, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It wasn't until I started working on a plan of recovery that I feel I made any progress. For way over a year, I was clean..went to work, paid bills, but I was miserable. I relapsed.

When I began recovery, I started looking at being clean as something to be grateful for. Prior to that, I felt I was being punished and I didn't like it.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-26-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I do not use anything stronger than an asprin.

It's speculation on my part that when someone recovers sufficiently to their pre-addiction mindset, they are ripe for relapse. It was the pre-addiction mindset that first played the "life without consequences" game and lost.

It seems to me that a tremendous internal change has to occur to stick with recovery through thick and thin. Afterall, no one knows better than an addict how easy it is to " check out" when the going gets tough. As much as I try, I do not think I can ever fully appreciate the tremendous inner strength it takes to stay sober, forever and cope with come what may.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was a functioning user, so as far as making decisions I was alright with. It was the panic attacks that were so very overwhelming. I stopped using, and was fine for two - three months and BAM full blown panic attacks everyday!!! I would say they faded away after a GOOD YEAR, but they still creep up on me. I have to say there are times I smell a memory. I would be walking down the street, and there is just something about the smell that reminds me of the pass and the running, and chasing... Life is pretty good for me, thank goodness, and I just remember the drama associated with that whole scene and get turned off... as far as myself and friends I would say a good year of work.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It was about a year for me. Until then, my sponsor kept me from doing most irrational things. I asked her before I made any considerable moves for my life.