Being adult about this...

Old 10-26-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
angry potato

Being adult about this...

My mother is back drinking again. She's been drinking for the last 2 weeks. Going to work drunk, driving drunk. She has my sister very upset, she keeps calling her and blaming her for everything. Calling both of us names over the phone. I've got the stage where I've detached myself emotionally. At the minute we have no idea where she is or how she is. I need reminding on how to cope with this.....
Old 10-26-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Dear Bravery,
I am so sorry you are going thru this terrible time with your Mum, and being hassled by your sister is so hard to take.
The fear for her safety and that of others when she is drunk driving, must be heart breaking for you. Is there nobody you can talk to about what is happening to her and you? Can you get her car keys from her, secretly and hide them? Could you tell her you are not going to have her dangerous driving when drunk on your conscience, and if she does it again you will have to call the police?
I am sure others here will have some ideas that I can't think of, so please keep looking here.
I will pray for your mum and that you get some help.
God bless you
Old 10-26-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
angry potato

Originally Posted by Jadmack25 View Post
Dear Bravery,
I am so sorry you are going thru this terrible time with your Mum, and being hassled by your sister is so hard to take.
The fear for her safety and that of others when she is drunk driving, must be heart breaking for you. Is there nobody you can talk to about what is happening to her and you? Can you get her car keys from her, secretly and hide them? Could you tell her you are not going to have her dangerous driving when drunk on your conscience, and if she does it again you will have to call the police?
I am sure others here will have some ideas that I can't think of, so please keep looking here.
I will pray for your mum and that you get some help.
God bless you
We have tried taking her keys but she gets so aggressive that we end up handing them back. I've spoken to relatives but they are at the stage now where they don't want anything more to do with her. Talking to her herself doesn't seem to have any effect.

Thank you for your prayers and blessings. Just reading those words right now offer tremendous comfort. Thank you.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry you are going through this. When I find myself getting stressed over the A's in my life, I envision God's loving arms enveloping them, and it helps me.
:ghug :ghug
Old 10-26-2008, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bravery,

Blessings to you for worrying about your mom. I always have to come back to the 3 C's: you didn't cause this, you can't control it, you can't cure it. She is choosing her own path, and you can't change it for her.......no matter how sad or dangerous her choices might be.

Is there any way you two can protect yourselves from her verbal abuse? Are you doing okay emotionally? Taking good care of yourself?

Hugs,
GL
Old 01-12-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
angry potato

So, she's started again.

After my last post in this thread I got call to say she had been involved in an accident. Her car flipped over and she managed to get away with concussion and some bruising. I thought that would be her rock bottom.

It's around 3 months on and she's back drinking. She has a few unresolved emotional issues and a lot of guilt. Until she works through these she will keep succumbing to the drink.

I'm at my wit's end but I've been though so much that my soul is as strong as an ox, even though it has moments of weakness.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

Can you call in about her driving drunk? What is she kills someone?
Old 01-13-2009, 04:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have to agree with Still Waters.....call the law on her next time she drinks and heads out in a car. She is driving an uncontrollable 1 ton missile!

Keep strong!

HG