Notices

Day 7 and counting

Old 10-24-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 7 and counting

Hello all, hope everyone is having a great day. Had some ups and downs this week, but made it through without drinking once. I still haven't been to a meeting yet...I know, I know...I need to make it a priority. I did see my counselor yesterday and that helped quite a bit, and I am going back to see him on Monday.

The main thing I have discovered is that it is very possible to face life's pains and anxieties head-on, as long as I remind myself of who I am:

I am not shame, mistakes or pain. I am a living miracle. And no matter what the problem is, there is hope.

I find that shame and guilt are the things that keep us coming back to alcohol, but when we realize that although we have made mistakes, we are not controlled by them. Then life takes on a whole new scope.

It is a challenge to do this, but I am learning the discipline of this type of thinking. Now I just need to get to group...

Thanks for listening. This is the longest I have gone without drinking in months and all of you have had something to do with that.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

glad you checked in !

yeah it really takes hope to stay sober i think. sounds like you are making good decisions and thinking aboutt things well.

I'm anxious to here how you like the meetings when you go
Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go! Keep up the good work!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am terrified to go to a meeting, but I am going to force myself to go over the weekend. I know it won't be as bad as I think I just get uncomfortable when people are looking at me.
Old 10-24-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi there, Great to read your post. Please find the courage to get to a meeting this weekend. Everyone is fearful about going to their first meeting but I can honestly say you won't regret it. What have you got to lose anyway - an hour or so of your time? They say the only meeting you are ever late for is your first meeting. You'll get loads of support. I can understand you saying you feel self conscious but all those other people are there to keep themselves sober. Good Luck.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one week. I'm jealous!!

Please don't be scared of the meetings, I remember the first time I went to a meeting I was petrified. Then when I got there I realized I had never in my life been in a room full of so many people who genuinally cared about each other.

Nobody is going to make you say or do anything, you can just sit there. The first time I tried to quit drinking I went to a meeting everyday and didn't say a word. But I listened and realized that there are lots and lots of people who have my problem, my anxieties, and my fears.

They don't want to make you uncomfortable, in fact they want to do the exact opposite, and if by leaving you alone for a while they think they can make you comfortable, that is exactly what they will do. When you are ready you will open up to them and they know that.

I've tried this hundreds of times and I fail the fastest when I don't go to meetings. In fact I have to find a ride to go tomorrow since my dumb-butt got a dui two months ago.

Not saying you have to go, but don't be afraid of the people. They're gonna love you.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

U Rock
Old 10-24-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

AA? Awesome Adventures!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone that helps alot. I was a little tempted to drink tonight (girlfriend issues) but I didn't do it. I hung out with a friend instead. I have made too much progress to stop now. I will be on day 8 in a half an hour! I am planning on going to a meeting Tomorrow or Sunday at the latest. Keep reminding me to go, please!!!! I need the accountability...
Old 10-24-2008, 11:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi WillsDissolve - Glad to meet ya. 7 days is great. I'm starting on 12 days tomorrow. It will be the most days in a very long time. The ONLY way for me
has been by going to meetings this time.

Brian - I have had the same experience that you shared in your post.

Hope to get to know both of you better.
Have a good night.