Insurance question

Old 10-23-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

Insurance question

I'm full of questions today.

I know that if my AH gets a DUI, our life insurance, health insurance, and car insurance goes up drastically. Is there anyway I can protect myself from this while we're still technically married?
Old 10-23-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Health insurance? Very unlikely.

Life insurance? Also very unlikely.

Everything depends upon the state in which you reside. And if either your life and/or health insurance are through an employer sponsored plan, there's precisely zero chance of a rate change for a DUI conviction.

Car insurance? Almost definitely.

Edit to add: The car insurance rate issue gets tricky. Your only option is to be up front with your insurance agent, perhaps before the conviction, and let him/her know what's up and find out what your options are. Your options may vary widely from state to state with all the different laws about car insurance as well as DUI laws.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Bonnie

In most states, not all, you can have one car insured for one driver, such as your car for you. If your DH drives it and ANYTHING happens you won't be covered but it would be cheaper.

My dbf got a DUI, our life insurance is held by a private company, it went up.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Rediscovering myself

We had to answer questions about DUI when we got our health and life, so I assumed our rate depended on it. I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette here.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think my mom had a hard time even finding a company who would write a policy for her, with a convicted DUI person living in the household. It probably varies from state to state.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by justaboutus View Post
We had to answer questions about DUI when we got our health and life, so I assumed our rate depended on it. I feel like I'm playing Russian roulette here.
You may well have. But in most cases, once the policy is in effect you're good to go. Have you ever had to answer the same questions after the initial application? You're not obligated to report this to them.

Plus, they aren't allowed to make changes based on changes in your health or lifestyle.

If you really want to know the rules, find out if your state has a commissioner of insurance and call that office to ask. In Minnesota, there is no insurance commissioner. The Dept. of Commerce governs insurance. So you may have to call around a little to find the applicaple agency in your state.