Notices

Grow up or die, eh? (Newbie introduction)

Old 10-22-2008, 09:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A few paces before Step One

Talking Grow up or die, eh? (Newbie introduction)

Hi, family. I've been reading through these forums for a while now. The information, support and the extent to which I can relate to the journeys is beyond amazing.

I am 31. Looking back at things in true honesty, I've been using since 2002. The details are irrelevant.

Today is Day 54 of sobriety. I'm ahead of the curve in getting 90 in 90 with NA. I've got a great sponsor that kicks my arse and loves to see me change. I'm currently not even to Step One and have been studying and interpreting the NA Symbol. I've also gotten a dictionary and have learned that I didn't know what some words meant!

I was spiritually dead until this recovery began, a total about-face from what I'd tell people while I was using. Praying and meditation have brought me coincidences, answers and plenty of overwhelming emotions and insight into whatever it is I need at the time. It wouldn't be any fun if it were easy, right?

I've noticed that people look older than I remember. I laugh out loud at all of the Adult Swim and Family Guy shows that just used to keep me somewhat amused. Music sounds much more amazing.

I wouldn't call this a pink cloud. This has been hurting just as much as it's been freeing. I'm an educated fool who can complicate things.

As my sponsor says: "Don't go upstairs unsupervised!"

At any rate, I look forward to interacting with you all and to build a network of folks where we can build together as shoulders to lean on, ears to lend and hands to hold.

Thank you, family, and thank you to the God of my understanding. I promise I'll get out of my head and surrender soon!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! You're in good company, lots of support and experience here!

Love,

Lenina
Old 10-22-2008, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Welcome and congrats on your time
Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

[QUOTE=grandgroove;1954218

[/QUOTE]

Hi grandgroove and welcome to the SR family!

I really like your sponsor's saying! Clever.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
lidy3

hi im new as well i am just about finished my own reducement i have had problems for a few years with all sorts of drugs i managed to stay away from herion codeine but i went from that to speed which is not good at all i came to this forum because no one would speak to me at home or outside and i was worried that i was going mad but here u feel like a somebody your not a horrible person there r great ppl on this my friend tc
Old 10-27-2008, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome!

Good for you with your clean/sober time!

I'm glad you found us.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Welcome, congrats!!!!!!

And...love the the name of the thread, BTW...

Hugs!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the SR family! Looking forward to reading more of your posts!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Welcome...you're in a really good space/place! Sounds like you've made a good choice in sponsors, too.

Just keep keepin' on...you'll be surprised at how those 24's add up!

I have two children in recovery...my daughter is very active in the NA program...and, you just brought to my attention that the NA symbol and that of AA are different. So, I went to the internet for "education". Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Our NA Symbol
Simplicity is the keynote of our symbol; it follows the simplicity of our Fellowship. We could find all sorts of occult and esoteric connotations in the simple outlines, but foremost in our minds were easily understood meanings and relationships.

The outer circle denotes a universal and total program that has room within for all manifestations of the recovering and wholly recovered person.

The square, whose lines are defined, is easily seen and understood; but there are other unseen parts of the symbol. The square base denotes Goodwill, the ground of both the Fellowship and the member of our society. Actually, it is the four pyramid sides which rise from this base in a three dimensional figure that are the Self, Society, Service and God. All rise to the point of Freedom.

All Parts thus far are closely related to the needs and aims of the addict seeking recovery and the purpose of the Fellowship seeking to make recovery available to all. The greater the base, as we grow in unity, in number and in Fellowship, the broader the sides and the higher the point of freedom. Probably the last to be lost to freedom will be the stigma of being an addict. Goodwill is best exemplified in service and proper service is "Doing the right thing for the right reason." When this supports and motivates both the individual and the Fellowship, we are fully whole and wholly free.

Quoted from Narcotics Anonymous, Basic Text, page 1
Old 10-27-2008, 04:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grandgroove View Post
Classic! I thought I had heard them all.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR