Don't know if I should laugh or cry

Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Don't know if I should laugh or cry

This is just so weird......Married 15 yours, hubby was active A for first 11 and RA for the past 4. He is healthy as a horse and I have just been diagnosised with NAFLD Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.......a disease common in alcoholics therefore the non-alcoholic part.

It is nearly funny......how codependent can a person be..........I have even taken the disease for him......lololololol.....just kidding, have to laugh or I will cry. I am no longer codependent, but that is the first think that came to mind when I heard the diagnosis.

Bytt load of tests at hospital tomorrow morning, so keep me in your prayers. Hubby will be by my side being as supportive as can be....he even said it was ironic. :wtf2
Old 10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:praying
Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

I suppose it is ironic - and scary:sorry

A new diagnosis can be a very difficult time. I'm glad that you have your husband there to support you during the process.

Take care.
-TC
Old 10-22-2008, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Please keep us posted on how it goes! :ghug2
Old 10-22-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by harleygirl92156 View Post
He is healthy as a horse and I have just been diagnosised with NAFLD Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.......a disease common in alcoholics therefore the non-alcoholic part.
How do they treat the disease? How do non-alcoholics get the disease? I pray for the best for you.

Peace.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by Reminder View Post
How do they treat the disease? How do non-alcoholics get the disease?
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is characterized by an accumulation of adipose tissue (fat) in the liver. This accumulation interferes with the liver's ability to effectively break down drugs and remove toxins from the blood.

NAFLD is currently treated with healthy weight management (through diet and exercise), control of blood sugar (especially in diabetic patients), control of cholesterol (through medication use and diet), and avoidance of hepatic toxins like alcohol.

The major pre-disposing factor is a higher than average Body Mass Index. People who are overweight are prone to develop the disease, so it is seen frequently in the United States. It's not clear where the fat deposits in the liver come from - existing adipose tissue, dietary fat, or some combination of the two. There may also be a genetic component.

Fortunately, in the early stages the damage to the liver is readily reversible!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sending good thoughts your way.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Originally Posted by ToughChoices View Post
Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is characterized by an accumulation of adipose tissue (fat) in the liver. This accumulation interferes with the liver's ability to effectively break down drugs and remove toxins from the blood.

NAFLD is currently treated with healthy weight management (through diet and exercise), control of blood sugar (especially in diabetic patients), control of cholesterol (through medication use and diet), and avoidance of hepatic toxins like alcohol.

The major pre-disposing factor is a higher than average Body Mass Index. People who are overweight are prone to develop the disease, so it is seen frequently in the United States. It's not clear where the fat deposits in the liver come from - existing adipose tissue, dietary fat, or some combination of the two. There may also be a genetic component.

Fortunately, in the early stages the damage to the liver is readily reversible!

Ok, sounds like a nice way to say I am fat, but I am not! I lost tons of weight a few years back and my BMI is 22 and has been for several years. I don't drink a drop, haven't in years. Meds are anti-depressant and a blood pressure pill.....don't know if either is a factor, don't take tylonel. So will find out more tomorrow, will ask a ton of questions now that it has all soaked in. I am not diabetic. Am having gall bladder problems though, wondered if that could contribute.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

Originally Posted by harleygirl92156 View Post
Ok, sounds like a nice way to say I am fat, but I am not! I lost tons of weight a few years back and my BMI is 22 and has been for several years. I don't drink a drop, haven't in years. Meds are anti-depressant and a blood pressure pill.....don't know if either is a factor, don't take tylonel. So will find out more tomorrow, will ask a ton of questions now that it has all soaked in. I am not diabetic. Am having gall bladder problems though, wondered if that could contribute.
Oh, harleygirl - I didn't mean to imply that! I'm sorry if you were offended.

The disease certainly occurs in people who are not overweight, it is simply a predisposing factor.

Current estimates put the incidence of NAFLD at about 30% of the U.S. population - so it happens to a lot of people. It just isn't yet clear why.

Best of luck to you.

Take care.
-TC
Old 10-22-2008, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lots of prayers to you!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awakening

I've missed your posts....I "know" you from lurking here for several years. I'll add you to my daily prayer list....it's getting quite long! That's a good thing!

Thanks and God bless us all, :ghug
Coyote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

harleygirl92156, your husband is right, how ironic.
Will be keeping you in my prayers. Like Coyote21, my prayer list expands every day. Have it on comp and in a book for when I am in church.
All the best and keep your chin up.