Notices

First craving

Old 10-22-2008, 01:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First craving

I had my first craving last night, I know I am only 5 days into this and they are going to get worse and worse before they get better, I am imagining about 3 to 6 months of this.
This thing came from no where, no trigger like a beer commercial, I was just sat working on a photograph on my comp and it hit me like a steam train.
It manifested itself under the guise of 'go and see a friend in your local, just for a coffee' I knew what it was up to, 'go to the pub and I bet i can make you drink' that 's what it's nasty intentions where.
So I dug my heels in, counted to ten and smoked a cigarette, luckily it passed within 10 mins but I doubt it is going to be so easy in the coming months.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Paul

Congrats on surviving your first craving!

There is no way to tell how long the craving period will last, the timeframe really does vary. For example, I was craving-free during my first 3 months of sobriety, then they hit me with a vengeance. Other people begin experiencing cravings within a day of quitting. Still others get away with almost no cravings whatsoever.

Time does help in this aspect. You will probably notice that the cravings diminish in frequency and intensity as your recovery progresses. Don't feel discouraged by them, they are natural.

Ethanol is a highly addictive substance, in the sense that our bodies do become dependent on it if we drink a lot. So some cravings can be considered purely physiological. The psychological aspect is more complicated, and it tends to make cravings worse. Good job on identifying your specific trigger, this is an area that you can definitely address and tend for.

Like you discovered for yourself, they do pass if quickly enough; what works for me is to observe them with detachment, without fighting them. Struggling makes the situation worse.

As much as possible, try to keep a positive outlook. Don't focus too much on the cravings and don't despair. Your attitude can really influence cravings, don't underestimate the power of your mind: if you expect months of suffering, you might be in for a rougher ride than necessary. Bottom line is, you won't die from a craving and, while uncomfortable, you can always use them to grown and learn; that's a sure way to progress in sobriety.

Good luck, keep posting
Old 10-22-2008, 02:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Very true words matt.
I see your point on trying not to polarize the craving as in a way that is putting fuel on the fire.
I am surrounding myself with things to do and take my mind off the alcohol, at the moment I am learning photoshop and have bought some good matt and gloss paper to do some prints for my flat, I might go to epping forrest tomorrow and take a hike with my digital slr and take some photo's, I find this in the past has given me something to do when I get home - work on the photo's, this can sometimes take me into the early hours but it is nice to see the finished prints.
I am also watching a lot of comedy and films, that helps as well.

And of course visiting this site
Old 10-22-2008, 02:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

remember 7 minutes to change a craving. take a walk watch a movie just do something