Notices

trying really hard not to lose it

Old 10-20-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying really hard not to lose it

after sleeping through my alarm and being an hour late for work, i got to start my morning by being yelled at by my boss. i'm already on thin ice with him since i'm new at the job and a little slow at learning all this stuff. so being late didn't help i'm sure. and when i got home, i got a bill from my old apartment saying that they are charging me an additional $584 to replace the carpets (which i already paid to have cleaned! but i guess there was too much damage so now they are saying i have to pay to have them completely replaced). i'm already $500 in debt and i don't see how i'm going to be able to pay this. i'm going to try talking to them about it, but i know exactly how it will turn out because the managers at that place aren't the most honest people in the world. i'm really considering taking a second job i was offered, but i know that im not emotionally able to work 2 jobs right now. i'm trying my hardest to take all this and deal with it the right way, but its hard. i just really need some support right now.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((((Mikey)))) I don't know what to say accept this will pass and you will work yourself through this tough period. Remember this would have happened and had been worse if you weren't sober. You can deal with this and I like your idea of talking to the landlord about the carpets. If you HAVE to maybe you can work out a payment schedule with them.

As far as the job, new jobs are always so overwhelming. My husband went through this too. Give yourself some time and you will most likely catch on. Can you do anything after hours to give you a step up there? I don't think working 2 jobs would be advisable right now, but that's just one person's opinion. You know yourself best.

Keep posting if you need to and don't forget about venting in the all too popular "Whiners" thread. We love to whine.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hey Mike,

I agree that talking to the Landlord might just help. A repayment schedule could be worked out. At least you will have covered all your options.

I worked two jobs earlier this year and it was tough! I was exhausted. I finally realized that no one was getting 100% from me. I did not have the energy to do both jobs to the best of my ability and take care of myself and my home. I quit one job and concentrated on the other job that had the greatest potential for advancement. Financially that put me in a tight spot but it finally paid off. Eventually I got more hours at my job and now that I am sober and more focused, things have improved.

I'm glad you are staying sober and trying so hard. You will be able to handle the roadblocks better while sober. Keep taking it one day at a time. You are doing great!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree Mike, don't push yourself beyond your limit. I know that I have had to be careful about what commitments I take on, in order to maintain peace and sobriety in my life.

Try talking to your landlord and see if you can pay a bit at a time.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mike,

These things will pass

Be careful with the two job thing. Getting overly tired can lead to anxiety. I'm having to work some long hours right now, But I can stop and rest when I need it and I can walk away from it when I feel a trigger coming on. These are things you generally can't do with job. Be careful

Please keep your sobriety #1
Old 10-20-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

What Anna said.
Be easy.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I am troubled ...I find Prayer immensley helpful.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Mike)))

I know you're worried, but take it from someone who is over $15,000 in debt, payment plans can be worked out. One creditor went so far as to sue me, won (I was still on the streets smoking crack) and demanded a certain amount each month. I told them I couldn't do it, told them what I could do, and they gladly accepted it.

I agree about holding off on a 2nd job. Take care of you, because you're worth it!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Between my business and personal debts my outstanding bar tab from the days of my addiction are just over $600,000. I used to let that number jam me into a Jameson bottle, but with the tools of the 12 step program I am able to work to make arrangements to pay what I can, when I can, and the stress from them has calmed significantly.

Until I started making amends I always thought, "I can never pay that much back". Who knows, maybe I can't but maybe I can. I heard a speaker tell of a story about a guy in this situation. He said to his sponsor, "I owe too much. There is no way I can ever repay that. Do you know how old I will be when I finally pay that off?" To which his sponsor replied, "You will be the same age as you would be if you did not pay off the debt..."

Your mind will keep looking things to try to defeat you and make you drink or use. I just laugh at my mind when those thoughts come up, you can learn to laugh too.

Good Luck.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"my mind is a terrible thing, and it must be stopped...."