Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

please send me some encouragement.......taking son to halfway house

Old 10-20-2008, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

friends,

we leave tomorrow to drive to pick up my son on Wednesday Oct. 21. He will be leaving rehab after 10 months and proceeding to a halfway house (we take him) in Atlanta, Georgia. The environment seems to be very structured from all that I have read. He will need to go on five job interviews per day.
I am anxious but at the same time hopeful. I am proud that he has achieved being ten months clean. I want him to have a better life and hope that he will be able to find a job that will enable him to stay in the halfway house. We are willinging to pay for a period of time as long as he abides by the rules and tries to seek employment.
It has been a long journey for our family.........at time heart breaking. Please say a prayer for our family and my son that the transition will be something that he can handle. It will be a big step for him.
Thank you for any feedback. I am just thankful for all of you who have supported me.
Sincerely, dixied
Old 10-20-2008, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
rozied

Dear Dixied, I am so very happy that your son finally appears to be on the road to recovery. I truly understand your feelings as my son is 42 and not there yet as far as I can see. He claims to be ready to straighten out his life but he just messed up in Wk Release again & was sent bk to jail. I don't think his getting back late from work had anything to do with drugs. I know he was out with a woman when he got bk late. Maybe if he finshes out his sentence & then gets out he'll do better.
I pray your son continues to do well in the half-way house. What kind of rehab program was he in that lasted 10months? Try & relax & focus on how good he is now doing.
Love,
Diane
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Dixied,

What a GREAT step for your son. I am convinced that the longer in a recovery environment the better.

I can look back today and think about the steps in my AD's recovery and see where there were things that looked good and things that didn't look so good. And today I look and see where her HP used those things, all of them, to get her to a better place.

Go pick up your son with a thankful heart and know that his HP has him right where he needs to be today. And as you leave the halfway house, just remind yourself that he and his HP have to work this out. Best thing for you to do is go home and live your life....enjoy it! I know I spent far too many days trying to live my AD's life and all that did was wear me out!

Keeping y'all in my prayers.

Hugs,
Hangin' In
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

dixied,
Well! he is moving right along in his recovery, what great news that is!

I'm crossing my fingers and toes,
and saying a prayer he can adjust to his halfway house living.

Hugs...
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great news. The ten month sober time (and counting) is money in the bank. Good luck to him in the 1/2 house and in his job hunting. He's fortunate to have you two for support (but not co-dependent)...Prayers for all.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Lots of prayers for your son's ongoing sobriety and serenity. Yours too
Old 10-20-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Already been 10 months!! Congrats to your son.

Ya'll are always in my prayers.

susan
Old 10-20-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dixied...That's great news, and it's most likely the best place for him to continue on his path to recovery. 10 months clean is amazing. Hugs and prayers to you, your son, and the rest of your family. :ghug
Old 10-20-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dixie, Sending prayers for your son and your family. It sounds like you are in a better place with him today. That is good to hear. Hugs and congratulations on the 10 months. Marle
Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dixie:

Great news about your son - that he has finished his program and stayed ten months - and now is willing to go on to a halfway house. In my experience, the longer they are in a structured environment the better. And sounds great that he will living in a sober environment while working. His HP has a plan for his life.

I know this must be a comfort to you.

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler

Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dixie,
That is a long time for you waiting for your son and I am sure he is just as anxious to start over and make you all proud. 10 months is quite an accomplishment and I wish you all the best with his new life. Prayers and hugs to you...
Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Dixie, I too am happy for you and for him. He's done well and is heading to a good place.

Time for you to enjoy life a little more, you deserve to have fun and use your energy on you.

Hugs for you and prayers for him.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dixied, I'm hoping that all goes well with your son in the halfway house. How far he has come, he did the work, 10 months clean and sober, and that should make you and he proud. Let's hope he has great luck, and can find a job, and will keep his self esteem up, and he can see how rewarding life sober can be.
This is where I hope my son to be in his recovery when the time comes. I hope after rehab, he "gets it", and can see that the help is there, the tools are there, and he's strong enough to pull through.

Hope...it's all we can really do, I guess.

Eileen
Old 10-21-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Dixied,
I am so happy for you and your son. It makes me proud when I hear of a recovering addict making the right moves!

Good luck to you, your son and family!!

Have a great day!
Trina
Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

((((Dixied))))

Sending you and your son big hugs and prayers. I know how hard all this has been on you, but I think you've done an awesome job at being a good mom without enabling him.

Please keep me posted on how he's doing. He may not get the job he wants, but as I told you before, where he's going....there are jobs around and we've all got to start somewhere.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-21-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Dixied,

Wonderful news!
Congratulations to your son.

He should be so proud of himself.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i hope this is his time. it sounds as if he is ready. your son will be in my prayers. let us know how he is. hugs & prayers,
Old 10-21-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am soo proud of your son! 10 months is huge. When my daughter was in a halfway house it did her the world of good. In fact on sun she will have 18 months clean & sober, but today was also her first day at a second job. At the halfway house. Her primary income is waitressing. But she is doing some college courses in the recovery field. She decided to work per diem at the halfway house so she could indeed be certain this is what she wants to persue. She loved it today.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Chiming in here a little late but wanted to add my good thoughts, prayers, and congrats. It's been a long road for both of you but it sounds like he is doing well. Remember to take care of yourself so that you are okay no matter how he does.

10 months! That's awesome. I really am happy for both of you!

Hugs
Old 10-22-2008, 05:56 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Its so good for me to hear of a son getting through the 10 months of rehab. so many quit before that milestone so he's got a great start on a new life. Its also so wise to use a half way house - that shock of just being thrown back into the community can derail recovery. good luck with this and keep telling him how proud you are of him. I am more proud of someone who struggles and overcomes then of someone that everything comes easy.