Notices

New Member From Ipswich United Kingdom

Old 10-19-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Anthony

New Member From Ipswich United Kingdom

Hi All

I was searching the internet for some information on short term memory loss and came across this site so joined as I think I need support and can offer support as well.

I'm from an addictive background I have 2 brothers both struggling with compulsions drinking, gamling, drugs etc

I luckily joined the Army at 17 so never took drugs, but I do smoke,drink and gamble to much.

I'm a Christian and Christianity is growing stronger in me almost daily has been for a few years and maybe this forum and its loving supporters can keep me on straight and narrow and hopefully i can do same for others.

Ok so Drinking. I'm not at the dependency stage yet ( i dont think ) though Ive never gone longer than 3 or 4 days without a drink unless I've say been on tour in Afg for 6 months (last tour 06), I do drink most days and most days maybe 2 or 3 cans of lager OR half a bottle to a bottle of wine. And then on special times ie Fridays Weekend or social events A good skinful, 8-10 pints (20 units) so my weekly cosumption probably around 60-100 units.

I also have trouble with Gambling Especially when Drinking or if Ive abstained for a few weeks / months, but drinking is worse as I play internet poker and I play recklessly when drinking and have huge swings one minute I can be up $500 even a $1000 on $3 $6 table and an hour later lost all winnings and $600 from bank account. Crazy

I keep saying to myself I wont play again but I do start sober play very carefully and play quite well, I can hold my own Ive played it for enough years but to be honest the I can play quite well is the worst thing cos that gets you playing again, be better if i lost everyday.

The Memory loss its getting worse and Im only 39, main loss is forgetting peoples names, i was sat in garden earlier, we got 3 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs had them a couple of years i struggled to remember there names I go to church most sundays I know the congregation but I struggle to remember there names, I think its from the alcohol maybe somebody could throw more light on it maybe i should do memory exercises take my brain to the Gym???

Love to All

Anth
x
Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here!
Old 10-19-2008, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 10-19-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Anth, glad you're here. First off ,big congrats in realsing you have a problem and deciding to do something about it. That's about the only thing I consider myself qualified to say.

Other than that, I can relate to the memory loss thing. My problem used to be when I'd drank myself stupid the night before and had to ask my wife such rediculous questions like "where did we go last night"? , or , "who were we with"? If nothing else it's embarrassing and I used to feel ashamed that my brain wasn't functioning anywhere near as it should do. Luckily, I have a patient, understanding wife but I also think her tollerance to my memory loss is due to the fact I never cause any other aggressive embarrassing behaviour more commonly associated with excessive alcohol consumption.(apart from laughing too much)

Anyway, I'm miles off the point here. What I was trying to say is that over recent months I've tried my damnedest to dry out. Ok, admittedly, I've screwed up more times than I can remember but one thing which is for sure is that any reasonable periods of sobriety I have achieved have been accompanied by an almost instant improvement in memory capacity.

I'm far from qualified to say this would apply to anyone and is the answer to anybody in this situation. It's just my acount of things and would hope this 'may' be the same for you. Anyway, well done in reckognising a problem and deciding to investigate it further.

Finally, can I thankyou for invoking my own thoughts regarding this memory issue. I can't for the heck in me remember any of that "sickness/health, richer/poorer" stuff. Need to consult the wife and check signatures etc. Could have all been a scam as far as I can remember?
Old 10-19-2008, 01:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Patchman - as timzup mentioned, it's good that you're trying to work all this out now. At your age I had no clue what horrors lay ahead for me, was still in la la land, having a grand old time and justifying my actions. Alcohol did make me numb and dull, especially the last few years I drank, & that was mostly just inconvenient & embarassing - but the blackouts I began to have were terrifying. It's great that you're here, this is a wonderful place.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and good information. If you want to stop drinking you may want to talk to your doctor for advice on detoxing safely.

I can't speak to your memory problems, as mine is getting worse with age and getting sober hasn't helped much, tho I do feel far better physically and mentally. I have no desire to start drinking again as the memories of the pain and misery due to alcohol are still vivid.

Again, welcome!

:ghug3
Old 10-19-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Anthony

Thankyou for your messages I was really suprised to see so much response.
From what I said Have I got a drink problem, I dont think Im an alcoholic, but I think I drink to much.
Most cells replace themselves except brain cells and I think excessive alcohol intake gets to the brain and randomely kills memory cells. So you can have 8pm memories wiped away when u were sober yet remember 11pm when u were drunk if that makes sense, I have suffered from the I dont remember big parts of nights out for five years or more, but this memory loss earlier of my pets names or friens and work colleageus is quite new and getting worse, I've always had to move whilst being in the Army and I used to get more forgetful when I move cos my brain taking in a lot of new info so I think it naturally has to push other info back, and you also nervous when u move, but I dont move anymore
Old 10-19-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I have a terrible memory. Too much drink and drugs, I think! I've got to be honest, it has only improved a little bit in my month (with a few slips) of sobriety!

Have you ever tried to stop drinking altogether? For me it was a superhuman effort to go one day without when I tried to stop. Three years into my not-so-controlled-drinking experiment, I decided that maybe I had a problem!!!

If you are in the forces (and btw, thank you for what you do) you will be fitter than most of us, and hopefully bounce back quite quickly physically and mentally.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Anthony

HI lostbutterfly

Thanks for message i hope u r not to lost sorry about the drugs and my prayers are with you, is sobriety stopping altogether I not familiar with word sobriety wil have to Wikepedia.,

I never tried to stop altogether never felt i wanted to I enjoy alcohol but I certainly considering not drinking say Sunday to Thursday unless Im at an event in the week like a sgts mess party, and then just having a drink with wife/friends Friday and Or Saturday and Sunday lunch if we having a nice meal

I think i would like to stop Sun to thurs have clear head and repair my body
Old 10-19-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community

Please read this link..I find it interesting

Alcohol and Brain

Last edited by CarolD; 10-19-2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Added Link
Old 10-19-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR