Notices

Hi, new member here

Old 10-15-2008, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, new member here

Hi. I recently found this forum and decided to join, because I finally feel I need to share and hopefully find support and help to my alcoholism problem.

Since about a year ago, I've become a very frequent wine drinker and 80% of times I drink alone at nights in my apartment. I open the bottle thinking it will either make me feel better (when something bad has happened), or even when something good is happening - I drink to be giddy and enjoy it even more. And sometimes I drink just because I have no other plans for the evening. I want all that to stop, because I want my evenings back, I want to be able to deal with life's problems or happy times while sober. I want to be able to save that money I through away on wine right now.

Recently a pretty big change happened in my life - a really good one, too. I got into a university where I really want to go. I am so happy to be able to study the subject I chose - it's something I've wanted to do forever. And I honestly thought the drinking would at least be less frequent now, but of course it isn't.

Well, anyways, I'm now trying to set myself goals regarding my drinking problem, but until I get things settled for myself, I just want to take it one day at a time.

This forum has already helped me today. Just a few hours ago, I started thinking about going to the store to get another wine for tonight, but somehow managed to make myself go online and seek some help. I then started reading the posts in this forum and my own problem became more and more real. Thanks to that, I won't go to the store today.

Of course, tomorrow is a whole new day.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm really glad you are here. It is good that you made the decision to stop. Just take it one day at a time. You have a great opportunity to learn and do well at school without alcohol dragging you down.

You will find a lot of support here.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Parker welcome to SR! Glad that you are posting and reading and very glad it helped you to change the outcome for tonight. Post all you need to in order to get over tonight's hurdle. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. If this is the first night you have gone without drinking be careful. They say detox can be very dangerous and should be done with a doctor's attention. Good luck and again welcome to SR. I look forward to hearing more from you.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Welcome to SR Parker! You have found a great place filled with a lot of support-

Please check out our other forums as well as the stickies at the top of the forums too-they are filled with a wealth of information!

Glad that you found us and are ready to begin your journey into recovery-you are not alone. Keep us posted!
Old 10-15-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Parker,

Welcome!

You've made a great decision to seek help and there is lots of support here.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the site Parker! Great place for support and encouragement. A good idea is if you get the craving to drink, come here and post about it and we'll try to talk you out of it.

Just don't drink for today. And when tomorrow gets here it'll be today so you can not drink for today again. Keep taking it one day at a time. You can do this!

:ghug3
Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

"One Day At A Time"
Old 10-15-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Parker, for me it made all the difference - being able to say it on SR that I was an alcoholic. Finally I could talk to people who really understood, no one else in my life really got it or knew what I was going through. When I came here I was welcomed with compassion and never judged, even when I faltered. It's wonderful you found us - better days are coming.
Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to SR Parker!

We are glad you are here. I am on day 51 and the support and information here has been a tremendous help to me to make it this far.

Congrats to you on getting into the University of your choosing. Good luck to you and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peaceful

Welcome...
Old 10-16-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Parker (I love that name by the way)

So glad that you found SR. I would not be sober nearly 8 months now without the support from these wonderful people.

Keep Posting
Old 10-16-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks parker....keep sharing
Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to sober recovery.

I am glad to hear that you chose to read and post here instead of grabbing that ill fated drink. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Welcome.

Keep reading about and stay focused on your problem.

Spend the time you once would have spent drinking by reading threads here, trying to offer assistance to others when you can, and by just otherwise keeping focused on your recovery, you can do it.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The sooner one quits drinking...the easier it is.
Congratulations on chooseing a sober life

Welcome to our recovery community