Notices

New Here

Old 10-15-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

I have finally come to terms that I am an alcoholic and have been for years. It is nothing to sit at home and drink 6-12 beers alone on any given night and wake up without a hangover - more on the weekends. I KNOW it isn't healthy but for the past few years, it has been the only thing to help me sleep and really just become a habit. Leave work, work out, go home, pop open a beer. So now, I have to struggle and find other things to do to keep myself occupied in the evenings. And even harder, keep from drinking when my husband is home from offshore. He will have a few in the evening, but usually no where near as much as me.

I am tired of the weight gain, all the money spent, and some times not remembering conversations because I was loaded. So, now I need tips, encouragement and support to try to finally quit this downward spiral.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR MrsJules, what worked for me was not battling the beast alone, I leaned heavily on the Experience, Strength, and Hope that was freely given to me by fellow recovering alcoholics in AA.

I thought I was alone in my struggle with alcohol, in AA I found out quickly that I was not crazy, I was not morally unfit, I was an alcoholic!!! Most importantly though, I found out there was a solution for my problem.

If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired why not pick up the phone and call your local AA hotline and talk to a fellow recovering alcoholic? If you decide AA is not for you there are other programs out there as well to check out, fighting the beast alone for me was a losing battle that darn near killed me.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi mrs jules, i have just joined today and i think it sounds similar to my problem.
i started drinking at university and then ust carried on with what i considered wind down drinks and the end of the day. i have always been a night person and have problems sleeping so a few glasses would always help me sleep and then if i didnt then i would get no sleep. my partner doesnt drink at all in the week really so its not even social in any way for me ...i too am tired of not remembering anything and wondering if ive offended friends and having to ask my boyfriend what i did. i think you are right though it is just keeping busy and then after a while ull have a day when you didnt think about wanting a drink, stay strong x
Old 10-15-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am new, too, and can totally relate to you. I am ready to start exercising, lose this alcohol weight and enjoying my family without my "wind down drink(s)" on the weekends. Good luck to you!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR MrsJules, Smiles, and daisymae! The most important thing to me in staying sober is that my sobriety is my first priority. I have to want to stay sober much more than I want to drink. With those two goals I have managed to stay sober for the last 94 days and am feeling better and better with each sober day!

You too can recover if you want to badly enough!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR...

Keep posting, we are happy you found us...:ghug2
Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jules, Smiles, Daisymae,
Hi to all of you. I found this forum 13 days ago...the day I decided I couldn't take drinking anymore. I always used alcohol as a way to help me sleep at night. It just became not only a habit psychologically, but, noticed in the last year my body started to crave it even when I didn't really want to drink. That was/is scary to me as I realized I am now too out of control with this. Saw my life at that moment of having only 2 choices. Either I continue down this road and die, or quit alcohol now. One would think the latter choice would be an easy one, as well as the "common sense" one, but, for me it's the harder choice. Having my body and mind dependent only leaves a desire to quit left. (not alot of power in the other corner!!! HA) The first couple of days I stayed in bed, found this forum and started reading everythread I could. It has helped me and inspired me tremendously. I have not attended AA and don't know if I will. For right now, I have only confessed to my spouse. They have been very supportive thank god. Everyone here has been extemely supportive and I has helped me and my own determination to continue sobriety. I am glad to see you are here. I look forward to each of your posts and wish you all the best in your recovery. Go October class!
Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I am tired of the weight gain, all the money spent, and some times not remembering conversations because I was loaded. So, now I need tips, encouragement and support to try to finally quit this downward spiral."

Welcome Mrs. Jules and boy, did you come to the right spot for support in stopping. SR has supported me since I started here and I have gone without drinking since May of this year. I NEVER in a million years would have thought I could go without drinking for that long without being pregnant or something. It was easy to care for my body when I was carrying my boy, but when he was born I went right back to where I was. I WOULD NOT have been able to do this without SR and the people here.

When I have been weak or craving the drink, I would -

1. Get on SR and post and read, read, read!
2. Go for a walk.
3. Take a bath.
4. Play outside with my son.
5. Read a book.
6. Go to the library or a bookstore - favorite kind of place.
7. Call a friend.
8. Drink juice (cranberry - personal favorite) and Diet 7 up.
9. Go to the rescue ranch and pet the horses.
10. Hug my husband, my child, my dogs, or my cat, whoever was closest. (Fish doesn't like to be hugged and so I leave him alone.)

Hope this helps and I look forward to hearing a lot more from you.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Sober Recovery...

I found this site when I was looking for a forum to help me quit smoking. I was told they had other sites too so kept looking until I found Sober Recover.
Life is so good sober!!! :ghug3

I have 20 years now and it has helped me to share my experience, strength, & hope with others so they might find their path to sober living....not waiting to die or end up in jail, prison, or a mental hospital for the insane.

Keep coming back...this is a good starting point and soon you will find the best way to go to get sober and most importantly, stay sober. :praying

kelsh