Notices

Waiting To Feel Good

Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waiting To Feel Good

Hi, I just joined and it seems like a good forum. I quit drinking 72 days ago and keep waiting to feel good. Usually I am nauseated, have headaches and am light-headed. My doctor put me on Lorazepam a month ago but sometimes it makes these symptoms worse.

I'd love to hear that it gets better. I could use some encouragement.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Congratulations on 72 sober days!

Does your dr have any idea why you are having those symptoms? The physical symptoms from withdrawl normally disappear within a couple of weeks.

I hope you keep reading and posting.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Please see a doctor for the physical symptons. I'm glad you've joined us on SR, this is a helpful forum to many good people in recovery.

It does get better, much better, for me it's better than I ever dreamed it would be.

But it doesn't happen without constant effort, determination, work, and faith. I waited to feel good for a long time in early sobriety, but nothing happened until I took action. For every day of effort I put into my recovery I'm rewarded with a life that's richer than I thought was possible. But that means daily AA meetings, service work, prayer and meditation, and work with others.

It's not always easy, but there's a payoff if we have the desire to stay clean and sober.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too suggest seeing a doctor...perhaps a different one
if yours is not treating your symptoms

Welcome to our recovery community

Well done on your sober time.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR
Old 10-14-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome! Glad you are here!
Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 72 days!!!!

Call the doctor. I know we aren't allowed to give medical advice BUT I will share this with you as I had the same symptoms several years ago. I didn't develop allergies until I was 24 years old and I got very dizzy which made me nauseuos . And I had sinus pressure which made my head hurt daily. Allergy meds and anivert (otc drug) got me through it. I was extremely relieved when I was diagnosed and that is the only reason I'm passing this on............
Old 10-14-2008, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 72 days sober! PLease do see your doctor about your symptoms as it may not be related to alcohol/getting sober at all. Best to get checked out. Be safe!
Old 10-14-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I have been to a few doctors already and, so far, nothing major is wrong so they tell me it's stress, alcohol withdrawal or panic attacks. I will keep trying and stay close to this forum.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi MtnGypsy. It's hard to be patient I know - for me all of a sudden out of nowhere I started to feel alive again. I thought the only hurdle I'd have would be withdrawing. Once I lived through that, I was relieved, but not really happy or hopeful. Eventually I started to feel joy and happiness again. We numb ourselves for so long, it takes awhile to undo all the torture we've put our bodies and minds through. At least you are on your way!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Hi Gypsy,

We are glad you found us here. You actually have more days sober than I do. I found this site early in my sobriety. Lots of terrific information here. I found the excerpts from the book "Under the Influence" very helpful to me. They are on a sticky here (somewhere? I bought my own copy after reading the excerpts).

We can not give you medical advice, but what you are describing sounds like you are still having withdrawals. Here is a quote from "Under the Influence" that describes what our bodies are going through:

"One of the most confusing aspects of alcoholism is that the alcoholic is most sick, not when he drinks, but when he stops drinking. His body has adapted to the constant presence of alcohol--his cells are accustomed to functioning with alcohol as their major source of energy and stimulation and as an antidote for the ever present toxicity.
Thus, when the alcoholic stops drinking, all hell breaks loose. Blood vessels constrict, cutting down on the flow of blood and oxygen to the cells. The blood glucose level drops sharply and remains unstable. The brain amines serotonin and norepinephrine decrease dramatically. Hormones, enzymes, and body fluid levels fluctuate erratically. The body's cells are malnourished and toxic from long exposure to large doses of alcohol and acetaldehyde."

Your body is still on the rollercoaster, I'm glad you are staying in touch with your doctor.

Welcome! Keep posting and reading!