Notices

Day 25: Oversleeping

Old 10-13-2008, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 25: Oversleeping

First I'd like to thank Wuzizname for the post yesterday. Very informative and helpful. I appreciate it.

Earlier in my sobriety I was having trouble with sleeplessness and nightmares, which are both common symptoms. Now my trouble is I am sleeping perhaps too much. My sleep patterns have changed so that I am sleeping more during the day. This is more by design than anything as I prefer the quietness of the nighttime to do my work. I'm finding myself now sleeping 9-10 hours a day. I suppose this too shall pass, but it is sometimes good to get some actual sleep.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First, congrats on 25 days. That is a significant accomplishment.

Second, you and I (I'm only on day 84) are both in the early days of sobriety. Once I have a year under my belt, I'll maybe stop considering myself a newbie, yet still remain vigilant on sobriety. I don't know how long you drank for, but I did for many years. I know my body is still re-adjusting and I'm trying to focus on things like my diet and starting to exercise. Sleep patterns got better for me, but this is probably not the case for everyone. If you continue to sleep too much, see a doc to ask what you should do. Stay patient and keep in mind that sleeping too much/too little sober is a small problem compared with passing out due to drinking.

Good luck,

BMUS
Old 10-13-2008, 11:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Way to go on 25 sober days! That's wonderful! I agree that you're still early in sobriety, like me, and that you should give yourself time to 'normalize'. Do see a doctor if it gets to be more of a problem tho, just to be on the safe side.

Keep adding to your sober time, one day at a time!

:ghug3
Old 10-14-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Glad to see you on day 25 Michael!

I agree with BMUS, we are early in sobriety and lots of changes still happening. I know some newbies on their first week will be glad to see your post of sleeping more than 8 hours. They may still be struggling with the sleeplessness of withdrawal.