Notices

My introduction...I need to share this

Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My introduction...I need to share this

Hello all, I'm on day 3 of sober recovery.

I'm a marijuana addict- been using for about 10 years now. I have tried to quit before but it never lasted for long. This time I'm really serious. Pot has changed me for the worst! I have gone to the ma chat meetings off and on, but tonight I went to my first NA meeting. I was really scared, but I did it and it was good and I will be going back. I plan to check out another meeting tomorrow.

In my realization that I need to really quit pot, I've also realized I have a problem with alcohol. I mean I knew I had a problem with alcohol, but if I just smoked pot, it would be okay... but obviously when I'm not smoking I need something to replace the void so I turn to drinking. A lot of times I think I'm fine- I can handle it, but other times I know I am not fine- like when I go out and always drink too much, drive drunk, say and do things I regret and so on..

So I am thinking of going to AA too. And then I discovered Al-anon also. Maybe will go to that although ACA might be a better choice given that my father is an alcoholic and possibly even a drug abuser as well...., but that is not so common here. I wonder if I should even think about Al-anon or ACA right now though. I haven't spoken to my father in over a year now. It bothers me some, and when I read about the people who should attend those meetings- definitely me, but I think maybe I need to deal with my own problems first by going to NA and maybe AA.

I am curious to know what people think about this and particularly the issue of starting with NA and AA at the same time, oh and can't forget MA (no land meetings but I find the online meetings to be very good for me). I want to do the MA steps but should I do AA steps too at the same time? The issues I have with pot are sometimes similar to the issues I have with alcohol, but in a lot of ways they are very different. In any case I feel that in order to quit pot, I need to abstain from alcohol and I like the idea of being able to not have hangovers anymore or do stupid things that I do when I drink.

Thanks in advance for any advice and I am glad to have found these forums and be here!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to a great place for support and friendship and useful information. We're glad you're here!

:ghug3
Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I'm a recovering addict/alcoholic. I'm also an ACOA and have attended OA. Geesh I have a lot of issues.

I've gone to a lot of different meetings but the ones I enjoy the most are Al-Anon and AA. I can go to NA etc. but I found my place in AA. I occasionally to to an OA meeting and DH (normie) will go to Al-Anon meetings with me sometimes. Whatever works for you. Labels belong on produce, not people.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, progress! Welcome to SR.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

I hate waking up stupid, I mean hungover too!

Glad you are here and sober today!
Old 10-14-2008, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome progression....Glad you are here! I am a member of AA/NA although I have also attended a few Alanon meetings too (I do qualify for that program as well). I have worked through the 12 steps of NA. (I personally find their 12 steps to be a little more detail oriented...especially if you use the 12 step workbook>I had to search alot deeper within myself than when I had tried to work AA 12 steps originally--but felt I needed more....I just felt I was missing something--but both programs seem to work--just find the program you can work and stick to it. NA deals with overall addiction, not one specific substance...not interested in what or how much you used, but only in what you want to do about your problem and how they can help. That is what I needed this time around.