My AS just called about a Court Date next week ...

Old 10-13-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My AS just called about a Court Date next week ...

Says it's a misdemeanor charge for sleeping on the street, but he needs a nice pair of pants, shirt and a tie.
Didn't ask for money, so I'll send it to the drop-in center where he spends a lot of his time.

He mentioned that in NYC often that low offense court hearings are done using closed circuit TV between the defendent and the judge. Anything know anything about this? My BS meter went up on this.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I don't know anything about the closed circuit TV, but I'm thinking it would be a waste of big money to tape anything about misdemeanors.

Glad he didn't ask for money, that you are sending him clothes, and that you got to hear his voice. Good job, dad.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
rozied

You know Dad my son went to Wk Release for like the 4th time. Last wk I went to see him & wound up buying him clothes cuz he found a job selling cars. You have no idea how often we have bought him clothes and he loses them cuz he uses, gets into trouble again and the clothes get lost. Now I just spent another $400 & I haven't heard from him since Friday. I am too afraid to call work release to find out if he is still there. I haven't heard from him since Friday. I KNOW I told him when I bought him the clothes last week that if it happens again he can just go to The Salvation Army for clothes & I mean it.
When I do find out what happened to him I may be abel to go & get the clothes & put them away for next time but right now I just don't know.
I told you this so you can see that this happens all the time with addicts.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well it must be " need clothes week"' ASD goes to court tomorrow for her VOP and she says if the judge releases her she doesn't have any clothes. If she is sent to a rehab, no clothes.
At this time I am holding back the codie in me that wants to run out and get clothes like I have many times before. Maybe this will help her reach her bottom once again. I have turned it over to her HP. He will take care of her but I ask for your prayers for her.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Salvation Army stores have good cheap clothing. That is what my daughter wore when she was in rehab. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-13-2008, 04:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have to confess I was amazed at the things the Salvation Army had in their store here. I had no idea of the clothes, some new, some old but all clean and perfect for anyone who needs an outfit for court or the street. Glad your sending clothes and not the money...

Last edited by beegee; 10-13-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Yep, Salvation Army has some GOOD stuff, in fact sometimes I buy something there for myself!

Some of the clothes still have the original price tag attached!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I bought a lot of my clothing at the Salvation Army store when I was a programmer/analyst. Really nice stuff too!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh, and I forgot to add that usually the closed circuit tv hearings, at least here in Kansas, are for felonies only.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We almost exclusively shop at the second hand shops. I've taken a few of my sponsees there to get clothes for court and job interviews. I also donate my fair share of stuff too.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

A second hand shop does sound like a good idea and with the Salvation Army, you know it is going to a good cause.

In my state, (looks like yours too) some municipal courts (they hear the equivalent of misdemeanor charges) do use video conferencing for appearances when the defendant is in jail. It saves all the cost and time of transporting them for the appearances. But it's only used when the defendant is in custody. That's something I never knew until I've made a couple of appearances for motor vehicle stops and the like that my kids have had. Funny how I used to think it was part of my job as mom to be there in court for them.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Same here in Missouri, we have the TV thing too but only for felonies or when they have the misdemeanor in jail already. But NYC is really diferent from here. Good job Dad on the clothing issue. Keep us posted on how things go.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I live in NYC and never heard of the tv thing, but I don't doubt it. My ABF has court today... Seems like its court day here on SR... I would think they do the tv thing because there is just so many people and to transport them on the patty wagon can be so time consuming.... with his charge, he will mostly likely get time-served, possibly a fine, and let go.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

when my brother was out on the streets (hes back in rehab then possible jail) he was always losing clothes my mother gave him as well, he would stick them in bushes so he didnt have to carry them around, they would end up soaken wet or just gone.........I wish drugs never existed and i wish dealers had a heart and didnt deal!! Uggh
Old 10-14-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Professional Hanger On'er

It must be clothing week! My son stopped at my work today and asked me if I could get him some clothing for court on Thursday. I am evil, I said no. I said here is a gas card to get you to your counseling appointment, that's all I am going to be able to do. Bad thing is, I have to see him in court on Thursday because I have been subpoened by the prosecution......
Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm guessing when my son heard on Monday that I'd be sending him clothes that was the end of that story. He was supposed to call me back Monday afternoon with an address for mailing them, but haven't heard from him at all.

Just another lie from an addict. At least I'm improving in terms of never giving him money again.

The good news is that must not be a court date...though sometimes a little court involvement ain't bad.

Regards to all, thanks for your replies.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

you can go here to find out if this court thing is even true and how it went:
WebCrims Attorney
Old 10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

sorry I'm late, glad your son is alive and there is still hope!

prayers for you and yours,
susan
Old 10-15-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

littlebird, that site is very helpful. It just proved my thoughts, no case is listed.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
rozied

Hi Hurtingdad, Sorry to hear your son lied to you but thats what they do. My thoughts & prayers for you & your son.
Diane