New to Forum

Old 10-12-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New to Forum

Hi all,
I'm new here...living in misery...my boyfriend and best friend is an alcoholic. He has been for 15 years, but I have only been personally involved with him for a year. He has been to rehab, and failed. He has tried twice on his own, and failed. He is becoming more and more difficul to deal with as his emotions run the gammit....very mean upon occasion, a side I have rarely seen.
I want to help, and I have done so much - and I am not ready to let go.
I was on chat here the other night and several of you were very kind to me - and gave me insight as I have no drug or alcohol addictions - I am a non-drinker who has never even smoke marijuana - yes, that is the truth.
I am so emotionally burned.
Thoughts?
Thank you and God Bless,
I HATE BOOOZE!
HB works too.
Did I mention, we work together - and now I am helping cover his tail at work? (No he never comes while drinking or drunk, but it isn't not always worn off....)
Old 10-13-2008, 12:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to SR. You have found a great place with lots of good folks with lots of Experience, Strength and Hope (ES&H). People who have been where you are now, or are at where you are now.

I believe that what you hate is the addiction. There are many people that can have a drink now and then and it does not affect their lives. However, there are some of us that do become addicted.

Please stop covering for him at work. Let him take responsibility for his actions or lack of actions. Believe it or not, just this simple action on your part will help him get closer to his personal bottom sooner. I know this can be hard, and there is a great organization called Alanon that would be extremely beneficial to you. Living where you do, there will be lots of meetings, so I am sure you will be able to find some that fit your non working hours.

Read around this site, check out the 'stickys' at the top of this forum........there is lots and lots of good information.

We do understand. Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing, we do care very much.

Again, welcome to SR.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-13-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
cmc

Welcome to SR. It's nice to meet you.
In addition to all the other resources in our stickies is a very good reading list. One of the books listed there;Codependent No More by Melody Beattie, helped me to recognize a few things that were going on in my family. Attending Al-Anon and coming here to SR has helped me to learn how to change and take proper care of myself- no matter what or how the 'other person' is doing.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
blue-eyed soul

hi there -- i think you'll quickly see how helpful and kind the folks are here. i am among the newest of the newbies, and i am already quite grateful.

i had a "mad" post the other day, and i wanted to say thanks to cmc for this info below -- i couldn't quite see why i was the one trying to coordinate help for myself, but i think you are right, and i'm going to get all of i can out of al-anon, sr, and a counselor to help myself however i can. i hope you can find some answers here, too.

Originally Posted by cmc View Post
Attending Al-Anon and coming here to SR has helped me to learn how to change and take proper care of myself- no matter what or how the 'other person' is doing.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome, HG, glad you're here!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! This forum has helped me so much, I don't even know where to start!
Old 10-15-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I live in emotional hell.