Does it get better?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Does it get better?

Hello. I've just signed up and here I am. I am the wife of an alcoholic and I've just today begun to realize that I am powerless over alcoholic and that MY life has become unmanagable.

Guess I always thought it was his problem. And suddenly I am having this realization that I am sick too. Which, of course, means I'm probably infecting my children with it as well! Ugh!

My husband is an active alcoholic. He is 41 and always been a drinker but in the last year it has spun completely out of control. He has admitted (not to me) that he knows it's a problem, but is convinced he can get it under control.

I am angry (SO angry) and hurt and guilt-ridden and tired and...

Just want to get healthy! Went to my second Al-anon meeting this week. I see that this will be the key to MY recovery and that I can in turn be a better mother to my children, a better friend, a better sister and a happier person.

Nothing more to say. Just kinda want to put it all out there. Been reading lots of blogs on this site and so many have been helpful to me. I am hopeful that things will get better - they do don't they?

Thanks,
Babs
Old 10-11-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are taking some very encouraging steps. Welcome.....and hugs
Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Welcome to SR. You have found a great place, with lots of folks that have been or are where you are now. I am glad you are here, but sorry for the reason you found us.

I can tell you from my own experience that the more I worked on ME the better my life got.

I am sure yours can too, with or without the alcoholic.

Please keep posting and let us know how YOU are doing as we do care very much.

Love and hugs,
Old 10-11-2008, 10:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Things got better with me when I started working on my own problems too. It can be so over whelming, but just take it a step at a time. My AH is still very active, but I no long buy into the craziness of it all. I'm still on my own journey.

Al-anon helped me, and reading books too, but I think what really started me on my journey to healing was my counselor. Everybody's journey is different.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can tell you from my own experience that the more I worked on ME the better my life got.

Me too! Welcome! Sounds liek you have amde some great choices this week to help yourself and your kids. Keep up the great work
Old 10-13-2008, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome and yes if you work this program you will feel so much better. I know what you mean about being a better mother and this program helps to do that in so many ways. Believe me the 12 steps are helpful in the teenage years to!! We understand how you feel and reading the "stickys" here saved my life this past year. I highly recommend them! Take care - we are here for you.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you for the warm, warm welcome. I know this won't be an easy journey and it's reassuring knowing that all of you are out there.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hugs and strength to you, babsy. It can be a tough journey at times, but it does get better as you learn and grow. I remember waking up one day and realizing I was proud of myself (possibly for the first time in my life) because of all the inner work I'd done to get healthy. It felt like a warm glow inside myself, like I was my own best friend.

Wishing the same for you - we're all here for you!
GL