Amusing anecdote

Old 10-07-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Amusing anecdote

The following happened last night at an AA meeting I attended.

The meeting was at a house that is owned by the local intergroup office. No one lives there. It's used exclusively for meetings and recovery functions. Meetings include AA, NA, Al-Anon, etc. There are several meetings a day there, every day.

It's an old victorian mansion with many rooms, HUGE. It's not uncommon for both AA and Al-Anon meetings to be happening at the same time on different floors with small groups splitting up and each meeting using multiple rooms.

There was a bit of confusion with the small group I was in. It was supposed to be in the basement, but we found our way to a room on the 1st floor instead. There was an Al-Anon meeting going on at the same time on the 1st floor, but they had not yet split into small groups - leaving one room vacant at that moment.

During our discussion, we were interrupted by an Al-Anon participant who explained they were supposed to have access to the room we were in at the time and we needed to be in the basement.

My observations:

We happened to be discussing Step 10. We were wrong (in the wrong room) and we promptly admitted it (and moved to the basement).
The Al-Anon group had to be assertive with the alcoholics in telling us about a boundary we crossed (their room at that time, not ours).

Two programs of recovery in action simultaneously... anyway, I found it to be somewhat amusing.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a cute and funny story! Thanks for sharing! I am in serious need of some good stories today!

Love,

Lenina
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I love how our HP gives us some real life examples of the steps in action. UNLESS of course he's teaching me about patience. Those challenge me a bit. LOL