Naranon vs Alanon - Should I go?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naranon vs Alanon - Should I go?

I'm curious - I'm newly out of a relationship (I'm pretty confident in saying even though it hasn't been 24 hours) with an addicted GF. We had only been "dating" for around 4 months or so.

Should I attend an Alanon or Naranon meeting still? My thinking is, it couldn't hurt - but, never having attended any of their meetings - I wonder if it's something I really should or need to do - especially if I don't have any intentions of getting back involved with her (unless she makes herself into a treatment facility).

Suggestions / Thoughts? Thank you!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
cmc

I continue to attend meetings despite the fact that there is no active addiction or alcholism in my life right now. I go for _me_ and find that it's where I need to be to learn how to take better care of myself, learn new ways to cope with life and begin to untangle years of accumulated 'stinking thinking' and bad habits.

What I gain from my meetings is priceless....well...I do drop a few bucks in a basket, but it's still a good 'deal' for the amount of money...especially when compared to therapy.

Therapy is good, I've benefitted from it a great deal, but these days I find exactly the help I need in Al-Anon. It works for me.

You could try attending both fellowships for awhile and see which one you like the best.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

YES!!! By all means go, go tonight if your schedule allows it and there is a meeting in your area.

You are not going for your addict or to find out some secret to help make your addict better, you are going to go for YOU! You will find tools there to heal yourself and to help yourself stay out of toxic addicting relationships.

This will be the first day of the rest of your life.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really enjoy my Alanon meetings. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-07-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sknyfats View Post
I'm curious - I'm newly out of a relationship (I'm pretty confident in saying even though it hasn't been 24 hours) with an addicted GF. We had only been "dating" for around 4 months or so.

Should I attend an Alanon or Naranon meeting still? My thinking is, it couldn't hurt - but, never having attended any of their meetings - I wonder if it's something I really should or need to do - especially if I don't have any intentions of getting back involved with her (unless she makes herself into a treatment facility).

Suggestions / Thoughts? Thank you!
I was thinking the same thing. I was with my abf for a year. I guess it couldn't hurt. My thearpist even suggested I go too.