Notices

A Week! A Week! I Made It A Week!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile A Week! A Week! I Made It A Week!

i can't believe it! it has been very difficult with the physical symptoms that still occur and i really thought that i would cave on the weekend since i'm used to spending the entire weekend drunk. but i stuck it out with the help of my wonderful boyfriend who has kept me strong through all of this.

i am now embarking on day 9. i feel empowered - but ironically enough, the cravings aren't bad enough to make me cave just yet. thought about having an N/A beer, but am a little scared since it will probably give me the taste and lead me to the real stuff.

gettin kinda sick of iced tea and water, but i love waking up clear headed and having hope for a new day. i haven't felt that way in awhile. have started meditating to try and fend off the physical stuff, but my mind has trouble concentrating. i guess that will get better in time (my theme song right now - Leona Lewis).

anyway, wanted to share with ya'll and let you know i'm standing strong here in the midwest and looking forward to my 2 week mark! hey - ya gotta have goals, right?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job! Keep up the great work!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

rachel - cool! good for you!!!

keep it up, sugar!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I love Leona Lewis--great song! Glad to hear about your sober time--congrats! Keep movin forward :atv (There are lots more to drink than just iced tea or water--I like to drink Gatorade myself....or Crystal Light, even lemonade)...all taste better than the booze!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great post!! Glad to see you made it through the first week and onto the second. As Angelina said, there is a lot more to drink then iced tea or water. I personally like 7 up with cranberry juice and I am kind of stuck on grape flavored crystal light. Experiment and I bet you'll find a lot of interesting non-alcohol drinks. If beer was your thing, you are probably right in staying away from the na ones. I have seen MANY threads with arguments for and against them, but personally if you even think the taste might trigger you then why gamble with it.

Congratulations again!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats and good luck to you.

A word about the "N/A" beer--it has alcohol in it. Granted a very small amount, but it's still there.

I found herbal teas at night help (not only the taste but even the physical movement of raising hand to mouth, silly as that seems).

You can do it!

BMUS
Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Great job Rachel66! I too had thought about NA beer but decided against it since I heard it has a small amt. of alcohol. I buy this walmart brand of crystal light..tastes the same but just much cheaper...dont try the apple juice flavor tho, I didnt like it much. I have tasted all sorts of diet pops. I like the 7up and cranberry juice..i will have to try that..course without the vodka that I would have normally put in that...lol. This weekend my son and I are going to try to come up with some stuff that isnt high in calories but made in the blender..I dont know being that I never made many blender drinks. Time to get creative. I do drink ice water with a splash of lemon juice..my hubby hates it, but I like it. If you like hot chocolate, there are some lo cal ones. Tho they just dont taste the same. I have done sugar free ones..yuck. Fat free, again yuck. lol

BMUS...u hit in the head for me..the physical motion of bringing the drink to my mouth...how funny..i drank sooo much diet pop on the sat. I went out..had to have that feeling. I guess its like what my mom says about smoking..wanting the physical part of it too.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Nice job Rachel! We're all so proud of you. One thing you mentioned that resonates so well for me too is the fact that I get to spend each day not hungover. There are so many positives in doing this, so many I won't mention them all. I made it 45 sober days earlier this year and relapsed until I think I created a stomach ulcer. I'm only on day 2, but once I wake up from this fog I can't wait to spend my mornings waking up fresh and alert. Again, great job on your accomplishment, there will be many more.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972 View Post
Nice job Rachel! We're all so proud of you. One thing you mentioned that resonates so well for me too is the fact that I get to spend each day not hungover. There are so many positives in doing this, so many I won't mention them all. I made it 45 sober days earlier this year and relapsed until I think I created a stomach ulcer. I'm only on day 2, but once I wake up from this fog I can't wait to spend my mornings waking up fresh and alert. Again, great job on your accomplishment, there will be many more.
In the end, we're all human. Just keep waking up sober and clear-headed every morning. You'll be alright.

Best of luck.

BMUS
Old 10-07-2008, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Great job on the 9 days, what are you doing in the way of recovery? There are quite a few recovery programs that can make your sober journey easier.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Rachael and congrats on your sober time. You sound very hopeful, keep it up 1 day at a time.
BTW - it is awesome that you boyfriend is so supportive.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

good job . I am also over week now and feeling great. Trying to rebuilt my business day by day
Old 10-07-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Dismember

Congrats! You'll start to feel back to normal before you know it.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congratulations Rachel on 9 days!! Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats! Way to go, Rachael! Keep it up!

Love from Lenina
Old 10-07-2008, 10:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

Congratulations!!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Awesome job Rachel! I counted minutes and hours sometimes for the first week - I know others have said that too. Once your up to counting weeks, you're in a whole other ball game! Goals are healthy.

I drink 1/4 glass cran-grape juice mixed with 3/4 glass Pelligrino and a squeeze of lime. Hits the spot. I sip it in the afternoon and while I make dinner where I would've been drinking glass after glass of wine. It really helps.

Keep up the great work!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

Congratulations. Keep it up. It's the best thing YOU can do for YOU.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
One day at a time Rachel, keep moving forward on the path to recovery!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats!!

I KNEW you could do this!!