Intervention

Old 10-07-2008, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face Intervention

Did anyone see last night's episode of Intervention? Her name was Leslie.

Cut her hair and you could call her my husband. There was also Dan and Lawrence. As I watched these three episodes I just kept thinking to myself, OMG that's my RAH. All three of their stories really hit home and made me thankful that my spouse "for today" has choosen to be sober.

I understand this disease has no cure and that it can and is life altering. The people who enabled their alcoholics were "me".

My choice today is to work my program to the best of my ability, continue to support my RAH in his recovery, and thank God each and every day that he is sober.

To those who are still living with the active, may you find the strength within yourself to do what needs to be done to find your serenity.

Understand even with him sober, sometimes serenity isn't always there. But again that's my choice. I have to learn to let go and let my higher power take control.

Have a great day!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did not see intervention last night but have watched it many times.
I too have stayed with my husband who is in recovery. It is not easy.

I am re-reading codependent no more and trying to answer the questions at the end of the capters. I am not well but I am at such a different place in my life now. No nightmare with this reading. I am more aware of what I am doing.

I am thankful I don't have to live the life of an enabler any more.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting to my HAPPY PLACE!

Yep I watched all 3 episodes. I am no longer with my xabf but watching these people brought back so many triggers but it also helps me to breathe that little sigh of relief that I do NOT have to deal with the craziness of an alcoholic.

I wouldn't reconcile with xabf if he went to AA and therapy 3 times a day. It's NOT worth the worry to me. I am choosing NOT to spend my time waiting on him to relapse or for him to be a dry drunk. And just for the record - not only is he an alcoholic (in denial of course) but he is also a crackhead. Those two issues play off of each other more than he knows.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I painfully watched all 3 episodes .... and everytime I see one, I find myself wishing everyone, whether in an alcoholic family or not, was required to see these real life horror stories and the ugly reality of what living with alcohol addiction is like. Maybe it would save others from sacrificing too many years making ineffective choices. Watching the misery inflicted on their well intended families as they try in vain to get them sober ..is shocking, but all too real for those of us that have lived with it. After endlessly struggling for years, the family finally ends up using a professional intervention as a desperate last resort. Fortunately, some get sober and rebuild their lives ... yet sadly, too many relapse.

The lack of understanding on how devastatingly powerful and resistant to change alcohol addition is, and all its unique associated behaviors ... the lies, the manipulation, the anger and mood swings, the denial, the blaming, the promises to improve and then relapsing over and over ..... is one of the biggest hurdles we face in making positive, healthy proactive choices when dealing with an alcoholic. It is a baffling and amazingly confusing affliction ... and it is simply not possible to understand to its true nature and learning how to deal with it .. without access to meaningful information, such as this forum or the Intervention series provides. Without this insight, we needlessly prolong the pain and confusion for too many painful years before realizing, that another person's alcoholism is usually beyond any other one individual's ability to "fix".
Old 10-08-2008, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

The recent episode with Chad the biker was heart wrenching but so nice at the end when he made the choice to get help and when they showed him all cleaned up crying and apologizing to his parents. I hope he can keep it up, he was heavily into crack cocaine and that's a real monster to kick.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

My AH is sober now almost 3 mos. He's been there before, last year, but relapsed after 97 days. Anyway, I haven't watched intervention in a while, but saw it the other night when avasmiles' husband was on, and it actually broke my heart. And weird, watching him while he was drunk and falling, and how his personality would change, so reminded me of my AH when he was drunk, I was actually getting sick in the pit of my stomach. Then last night, while sleeping, I was having nightmares/flashbacks of what I went thru w/my AH in the last couple of weeks before he stopped drinking and almost died (he's very end stage), and I think I am suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. Very strange, and very scary. AH and I are trying to work things out, but I don't know if I can, I don't think I could go thru that again. Anyone else been there (PTSD, I mean)?