HELP!!Anyone know about suboxone???

Old 10-06-2008, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HELP!!Anyone know about suboxone???

So my bf went into detox Friday.....rance only covered until sunday...so now he is out....alone in his apartment. I saw him yesterday and he looked clean ...hurting still but sober ..we were at his moms. Today I see him...and his pupils were like pin heads..... different personality.....etc...etc..my mind began racing. His mom calls me and says that since detox wasn't long enough he is takin suboxone 2 pills under his tongue when he gets up ad it makes him , blah blah ..blah..please anyone who has used or knows about suboxone tell me if this is true...what are the signs.....how would i know>>??
Old 10-06-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is he under a doctors care or is he buying them off the streets. My daughter was very tired at first on Suboxone. If his mom is seeing him take the pills then he can't get high even if he does use. But he must keep them under his tongue until they dissolve. If he just pretends and then swallows them, it will do him no good. I don't remember my daughter having pinpoint pupils or her seeming high. She just looked normal. Hope that helps. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks!!! He has no supervision.....so for all i know he could be not taking them...IDK anything anymore....i am having a nervous breakdown
Old 10-06-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Instead of a nervous breakdown why not find a meeting to go to. It really does help and you know that nothing you do or don't do will change what he is going to do. Take care of you. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-06-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My guy just started on subs and here is a good forum to help you ......

Buprenorphine for Opioid Addiction Treatment - Addiction Survivors Peer-Support Forum or

Online Peer Support from Addiction Survivors

He looks as though as he is high as well. Pin point pupils, itching, trouble urinating, nodding........ but from what I have read..... due to the ceiling effect and just the nature of the subs...... that will go away after a couple of weeks. But i'm new to this too.... but so far (via just this past weekend) - that has been my observation.

Don't have a nervous break down...... you can't control it, cure it or cause it - all you can do for you is breathe...... exhale...... and think about yourself. I know it's so much easier to say or hear..... but it's all we can really have.

I find being knowledgeable about it also really helps.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What I have read about Suboxone and pinpoint pupils is that the person is taking too much. If you look it up you will see that it talks about pinpoint pupils when someone is overdosing on Suboxone not when they are using it correctly. Hugs, Marle
Old 10-06-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Perfectly Imperfect

My boyfriend is on sub. He has been on it for over a year now. He was on a much higher dose when I met him. It has it's pros and cons. On the higher dose, he had NO cravings for drugs BUT....he got angry A LOT, and at nothing. He was very irritible but....stayed away from drinking and drugs.
Now that he is weaning down off of the sub, his personality is coming out more, he is more affectionate BUT, he wants drugs and he wants to drink. Sub has a long half life as well so if he runs out, the withdrawals may not kick in as quick as with oxy or other opiate withdrawal.
Also, I have learned this:
If you are taking opiates, you need to withdraw before you can start sub. Usually they recommend 72 hours or so before you can start taking sub. Now....here's the kicker......Once he starts the sub, he can take all the opiates he wants without getting sick. How do I know?? My BF was using while on the sub!!!
There are lots of different websites out there. Sub has an antagonist in it to make you not want to use while on it but once you are on it, you can take opiates without getting sick. Maybe not everyone can, I'm not sure. I just know that my boyfriend was doing both and he didn't get sick.
And getting off sub depends on the addict. My boyfriend can't handle the small decreases, never mind getting off the stuff. It's definitely not as being dope sick but it is still hell from what I have read/heard.
Good luck with your boyfriend, I will be praying he does well on the program. It really works if they want it to! But he's got to do the meetings and stuff too and maybe counseling.
It will probably take him a week or so to adjust to the sub because of the long half life. One more thing.....if he is using while on the sub, you can't always tell. Just watch for behaviors. I couldn't tell by looking at my bf cuz he always looked the same but I could tell because he would be cleaning and really happy and then in the morning, he couldn't get out of bed. That's how I knew he was using while taking the sub. Good luck hun!

Hugs and Prayers!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well..... this is on a total of 8mg of subutex a day. We just saw the doc together and he didn't seem to bat on eye on it.... like it was par. So maybe just early on???? I don't know. But on the subs... there is a ceiling effect..... so if anymore than 32mgs is taken.... that is just stupid.... because any more than that is not going to increase the high.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

FS..... exactly. The subutex can be used in conjunction........ I think the way around it is the cost? And what is the point? The withdrawals getting off the sub are way more extreme than even coming off methadone...... so it's not something to fool around with here and there.

My guy is just starting on it.... and he has been a cleaning maniac! It's actually working out good for me ....... Actually .... all three of the guys right now are attacking the playroom with an OCD leader (my guy).

All we can really do is be in their "blind spot"..... which is HUGE when they are of addict mentality.... it is then when the family/so's etc. are able to suss out the difference in action. Because when they are in recovery - the blind spot minimizes and they are actually able to see more and feel more.

Not sure if that makes sense.... but one thing we ALL have to remember..... we can't do anything, but look after ourselves. When they are ready to quit.... they are just going to do it..... without anyone's help - but their own and their HP!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
remember to breathe

my son was on suboxone twice, under a doctors supervision, he never once looked or acted high, not once. i don't remember about the pupils but if he wasn't high i didn't care if his eyeballs bled. lol but using suboxone alone is not enough, the doctor supplying them will tell the addict he needs to attend meetings. suboxne is for the physical part of addiction, meetings are for the mental and long term sobriety.
this is not my opinion, this is a fact. If there is anyone out there who stayed sober for a long period of time on just suboxone, I've not heard of them.

good luck
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My Aex-bf also used while he took subs. He also used them when he couldn't get dope so he wouldn't get sick, and his eyes were pinned as well. He could have been high though...since he is such a good liar...who knows.

Originally Posted by fndngserenity View Post
My boyfriend is on sub. He has been on it for over a year now. He was on a much higher dose when I met him. It has it's pros and cons. On the higher dose, he had NO cravings for drugs BUT....he got angry A LOT, and at nothing. He was very irritible but....stayed away from drinking and drugs.
Now that he is weaning down off of the sub, his personality is coming out more, he is more affectionate BUT, he wants drugs and he wants to drink. Sub has a long half life as well so if he runs out, the withdrawals may not kick in as quick as with oxy or other opiate withdrawal.
Also, I have learned this:
If you are taking opiates, you need to withdraw before you can start sub. Usually they recommend 72 hours or so before you can start taking sub. Now....here's the kicker......Once he starts the sub, he can take all the opiates he wants without getting sick. How do I know?? My BF was using while on the sub!!!
There are lots of different websites out there. Sub has an antagonist in it to make you not want to use while on it but once you are on it, you can take opiates without getting sick. Maybe not everyone can, I'm not sure. I just know that my boyfriend was doing both and he didn't get sick.
And getting off sub depends on the addict. My boyfriend can't handle the small decreases, never mind getting off the stuff. It's definitely not as being dope sick but it is still hell from what I have read/heard.
Good luck with your boyfriend, I will be praying he does well on the program. It really works if they want it to! But he's got to do the meetings and stuff too and maybe counseling.
It will probably take him a week or so to adjust to the sub because of the long half life. One more thing.....if he is using while on the sub, you can't always tell. Just watch for behaviors. I couldn't tell by looking at my bf cuz he always looked the same but I could tell because he would be cleaning and really happy and then in the morning, he couldn't get out of bed. That's how I knew he was using while taking the sub. Good luck hun!

Hugs and Prayers!
Old 10-07-2008, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

no pinning for my AH either. He acted fairly normal - though I'm not sure what normal is anymore with him