Notices

Day 17: Temptation still lurks

Old 10-05-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17: Temptation still lurks

Late last night I got the urge to go see my friend and say hi. Sounds innocent enough, except he is a bartender at a bar I frequented every week for the past six years. I had no intentions of doing anything other than going in, catching up on what has been going on in our lives the past month and grabbing some late dinner.

I pondered it and thought it was not a good idea and stayed home instead. I don't feel like I should completely avoid him or the place altogether and will go there for meals at some point. However, it is too early in my recovery process and I don't think it would be smart or appropriate to go down there yet.

On a positive note, someone I had not seen in a while remarked that I looked like I had lost some weight. Always a good affirmation as that is one of my goals, to get in better shape.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on 17 days Michael I think you're right, set your priorities: sobriety does come first. While it's difficult to avoid triggers, it's probably better to stay on safer ground wherever possible. In time, you might feel more comfortable with the idea of going to your old haunt, but why risk it at this point? Maybe you could invite your friend for coffee or something "safe"? Keep doing what you're doing
Old 10-05-2008, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Way to go Michael!

17 sober days, wisdom and looking trim. You've had a great day!
Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement. This is not an easy path. I am not looking past today and my goal is to post a Day 18 thread tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 17 days Michael. The beginning is usually pretty hard, but it sounds like you got a handle on it. No need to unnecessarily tempt oneself. Good judgment call. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Good job avoiding temptation! Keep up the great work!!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hi Michael,

I've just past my 8 month mile mark for sobriety and I still don't go to the places I used to drink. I have several restaurant/bars that I really like and miss but I just know that if I went in by myself I would feel that yearing need again.

I would go with my mom or my husband - someone who would not drink with me and we could just eat good food and talk. But I wouldn't go alone.

Good for you for your sobriety and wisdom! Don't push yourself too hard when it comes to temptation. It's not worth the risk.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on your 17 sober days! If some places trigger you too much, it's best to avoid them until you have more sobriety. I had to avoid even passing the wine racks in the stores for a while, tho now am not tempted by the rows of bottles.