Notices

What happened to the chat meetings?

Old 10-05-2008, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

What happened to the chat meetings?

I dont know about the rest of you. But I liked them. For someone like me who doesnt like to go anywhere to often and really isnt crazy about the F2F meetings. The chat ones were really nice.
Alot of newcomers will ask about them too.
All except for Astro..What happened to the rest of them?

I know it takes some commitment. And really appreciate who have helped out so far.
But there has to be more volunteers around here.

The past meetings I have attended on here were for the most part well occupied. 10..15 people everytime.

So it's not like people arent going.

I just miss em I guess.
We need some more people to help out.
When I hit my 6 mos I am going to give it a go..LOL If they'll let me.

Anyone else miss them?
Old 10-05-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah...I kinda thought there would be one saturday although I would have missed 1/2 of it ...but did check in....

I figure I'm not complaining cause i cant take on the commitment to lead one right now. I think the multiple meeting rooms function in the software ccould really be used in some creative ways...but my vacation ends today, so I hate to volunteer to committ till i see what my schedule is like on my return to work. Also...could the chat room be used for an alanon meeting? one of the sub rooms maybe????

Thanks for bringin this up chi...i'll think about this through the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup, I really miss the meetings... Any volunteers? BTW Chi, I can't wait for your meetings!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

chi....if you are comfortable with chairing are there any SR rules that say you can't???? Just wondered.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think you have to have at least 6 mos clean.
I got about 2 1/2 more to go.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
I have no information on SR Chat Meetings.
However.... there is a solution.

Please use Google to find plenty of on line meetings
for whatever program your interested in.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

I chaired last sat's meeting and had some attended , but think it could of been more , but least thewre were some there , I didnt commit to this past Sat's meeting had things going on an didnt know if i would be able to make it , as it turns out i was here , but no one showed in the room for well theres some here lets have one , Pehaps ill take on next sat's meeting to early in the week to say but ill post if i host ... :ghug2
Old 10-05-2008, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hmmm...
I have no information on SR Chat Meetings.
However.... there is a solution.

Please use Google to find plenty of on line meetings
for whatever program your interested in.
Oh Carol..We love our SR family. I personally wouldnt go anywhere else.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Sorry I missed this thread Chiy. I hope you don't mind me vomiting up a few thoughts.

I really, really miss those chat meetings, mostly I miss the experience that everyone shared. You're all such honest and open people, it was so good for my recovery to hear everyone share from the heart. Honestly though, being a single father to two amazing kids, and trying to have a functioning and healthy relationship with a woman who works her own programs of recovery, the commitment just dug into my time schedule. Most weeks it was fine, other times I found myself rushing back to the house from a road trip so I could lead the meeting. I needed to get a little freedom back.

Can I make a suggestion? First of all, I'm assuming that Rowan is still the moderator for the chat room? So please run it by her. How about getting a small group of people, maybe 4-6, who are willing to share the hosting duties? You could trade off every week. If there's a consistent designated time every weekday or weekend for the meeting, I'd like to think you'll have a regular crowd start showing up again. I think I did the Sunday evening meeting for almost 8 months, each weekend about 6-12 people would show up and we'd always have a great discussion about a topic of recovery, hopefully a few newcomers found it useful to their recovery. It also helped to make the announcements every Friday and keep them bumped up prior to the meeting.

Just my thoughts. Take what you like and leave the rest. Lol.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Whoa!
I did not suggest anyone abandon SR.

I simply said to Google for meetings... trying
to address your specific problem Chy.

One aspect of my recovery has been and
still is........being willing to come out of my
comfort zone to explore.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I loved the meetings here with you guys. I did chair a few Sunday night meetings and enjoyed doing it but it seems that sobriety hasn't translated into manageable for me. Weekends clash with family stuff. I can easily go with Astro's idea and take turns with TD, Nan or whomever. Please PM me if anyone wants to share a night.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

also...could be a week night
Old 10-07-2008, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I finally have a few minutes to vomit up my own thoughts on this

Setting up volunteers to regularly chair meetings takes a lot of effort and time. With the exception of Astro on Sunday nights, and Rufus on Saturday mornings, we haven't had anyone available to regularly host a meeting.

Remember this - a chairperson is not a meeting requirement in chat. You can still meet and share without one. Anyone can post a thread asking for others to meet them in chat at such-and-such a time.

I'm in the same boat as Astro - I'm a single parent who works full time and owns a home. I commute both ways to work and I have 5 pets. I go to face-to-face meetings, I sponsor women, and I go to a Big Book study each week. I go to the gym, my daughter has martial arts, etc. When I have some down-time, I like to come here; to read, post and surf. I wish I had more time to devote to the chat room, but the reality is that I do not.

If anyone has any questions, concerns, ideas, etc, feel free to post them here.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
also...could be a week night
Week nights works better for me.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Whoa!
I did not suggest anyone abandon SR.

I simply said to Google for meetings... trying
to address your specific problem Chy.

One aspect of my recovery has been and
still is........being willing to come out of my
comfort zone to explore.
I know Carol..I didnt say you did mean that.

I know it is time consuming. And I was just suggesting in a round about way and making it public that they are asked about alot and maybe scare up some volunteers.

You guys that have helped in the past did wonderful. ANd I wouldnt want it any other way than you all living your lives and spending time with your families. '

I am sure for people like me with no life..That may be able to commit more than some.. may try it out.

Good suggestion Astro...