Notices

the same old story, just a different place

Old 10-05-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the same old story, just a different place

i'm really angry right now, mostly at things that are beyond my control. my family is in a rough spot (financially and emotionally). lately its been all arguing, screaming, and doors slamming. not exactly what i was hoping for when i moved back in. i try to keep to myself when these things are going on (it always reminds me of my using days when i was still living at home), but thats a hard thing to do in a small 3 bedroom house with 6 people. my mom has started sharing every little problem with me lately as well. no matter how much i try to stay out of the drama, i get an update from her a few times a day. i want to be there for my mom because i feel like i owe it to her for the years of sh*t i put her through. but at the same time, i've been really stressed out because of it and its making me pissy and not fun to be around. i feel like i moved out of one place where there was anger and bullsh*t and into another one where the same things are there except im not using through it all. i dont know what to do.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Mike,

I wondered, reading your post, if there is any alternative to your living situation? Is there a relative or friend you could stay with for awhile, or try to get a place of your own?

It might be a good idea, when things are quiet, to explain to your Mom that you really find it stressful when she brings you into the drama. Hopefully she will understand. If not, I guess you can physically move to a different area of the house and put on headphones and try to relax listening to music.

I wish you well.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mike
i feel like i owe it to her for the years of sh*t i put her through. but at the same time, i've been really stressed out because of it
the only thing we owe anyone is not doing what we did...

if we dont take care of ourselves, we wont be available for squat...

as mentioned, get the hell out any way you can...

and dont say you cant, because in recovery and sobriety, theres options...

good wishes to you mike...

rz
Old 10-05-2008, 06:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do whatever you have to Mike to keep your sobriety. Its too important to lose and I am sure your mother wants that for you. I know I would for my son. Don't feel guilty about it either. Take care of thyself right now.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for the advice. right now its hard to think about moving out again. i've talked to a woman from my homegroup about a sober living house she runs, but in all reality switching locations right now is the last thing i feel like doing. i went to an out-of-city rehab for 16 months till i finished highschool, came home and moved out again a few months later. relapsed for 6 months after that, then moved back home again. i feel exhausted and just want some stability and peace of mind right now. im not sure if moving again or staying where i am is going to give me that tho.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mike. I understand how you must feel - it's like you've traded one set of problems for another. Being home should be comforting, not stressful & a threat to your getting well. As Anna said, surely if you talk to your mom about your feelings she'll understand you need some tranquility in order to get yourself together. Maybe you can just stay there until you feel stronger, then think of alternatives. Meanwhile, we're glad to be here for you and part of your recovery.