reeking of alc0hol?

Old 10-05-2008, 04:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

reeking of alc0hol?

My ah came to see me yesterday for the first time since I left 5 months ago. We finally decided that we needed to talk. He had never seen where I live now or has he seen our cats either. Anyways, I know he wasn't drunk and I know he hadn't had one yet....but I could smell a booze smell coming off him and believe you me I didn't get that close. He also had just showered???????????? What the heck. My oldest daughter was in a car with him a few weeks ago and made the comment that they had to roll down the window abit because dad reeked of booze but wasn't of course drunk around them at that moment. Can alcohol come out of your pores if you drink enough? I just never heard of such a thing. I was thinking that it was kind of funny how he told me he only has a few sometimes and can take it or leave it and he was sitting here stinking funny. Anybody else ever smell that smell?
Old 10-05-2008, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ago

yeah if someone drinks enough they can "sweat it out" for the next day or two I think

I've had co-workers mention to me that my college roommate smelled like he was "sweating gin" during lunchtime
Old 10-05-2008, 06:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

definatly emotes from the pores its the poisen which no amount of showers can take it away . its sour and its nausiating. most cases it means that the person has been drinkin steady ,Ive had this problem b4 myself no amount of soap deoderant or anything like can remove it , must simply stop drinkin an detox the body b4 it will go away. its almost like a banner for an Alki , one can smell it and know they been on a several day bender:ghug3
Old 10-05-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That answers the question I've had for some time. My AXSO always had an alcohol "smell" even when I knew he wasn't drunk or heavily drinking that day. Thanks!

Doreen
Old 10-05-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Yield beautiful changes

From what I understand about the time course of alcohol metabolism and excretion, initially alcohol is most readily detected in the blood and breath. After a period of time, these levels decrease while the levels present in insensate perspiration (standard, everyday sweat) increase.

It makes sense that the day after an intense night of drinking, alcohol would be detectable in the sweat and undetectable on the breath.

Personally, I can smell it from 10 feet away.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My stbxah has lost jobs because of that smell. I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV but when I was bartending in college there was this guy who came in as soon as the doors opened and stayed until we threw him out. He had that smell. He died about three months after I quit. I can smell it a mile away, a combination of decomp and liver rot. Makes ya wanna give him a big ole kiss aye?
Old 10-05-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My AH had this problem often in his later years ...a condition that added to my confusion for long time. Eventually I figured out that he had so much alcohol in his system he couldn't metabolize it properly and he was literally sweating alcohol. He was continually amazed when I said he smelled of alcohol before he had even had his first drink of the day. For years he had been able to effectively hide his drinking...and he was unnerved that he could no longer conceal it by staying sober for a few hours. Unfortunately, this condition was very evident the day he went to court for a DUI ...he reeked of alcohol while appearing before a judge ... all while my AH was totally clueless as to how badly he smelled of alcohol.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was wondering about this too. Even on nights when AH didn't go out drinking (rare) I always have to change the sheets the next day because of that smell. My AH also chain smokes and when he goes to the bathroom it really smells like booze and ciggerettes along with the "regular" smell (and no he doesn't smoke while he's in the bathroom). I guess the body gets to the point where it can take the level of toxins that are put into it and it comes out where ever it can escape. It's slow poisoning.