Notices

It's me...again...Exaybachay

Old 10-03-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's me...again...Exaybachay

So...I've done this before...and it's time for another go. I am an alcoholic...no question about it. I had about 75+ days sober and then made a really stupid mistake...a REALLY dumb mistake. God, I really hate these initial posts. I feel like such a cliche. The same "stuff" time and again. I was sober...for the longest time... in a long while. Some stuff happened. My stuff. I thought that it was ok to have one drink...god, it never is. Fast forward 45 days and I am in a bad place. Exaybachay. I'm here because like before I have nowhere else to go. I can say that I have never been to an AA meeting...I just don't know the rules and what to expect. When they say "closed meeting" what type of credentials do I need to get in? What's an open meeting? I'm young, but medically speaking, if I continue much longer like this, I will die...this has been confirmed. My alcoholism has controlled my life for so long that I don't know how to build the simplest of relationships...I know that there is hope; I have seen it it. It is absolutely wonderful. For all of you wondering if it really is good on the other side...I can tell you, from my experience, it is...and, like I said, from the brief glimpse that I've had...it's like nothing we've seen. So, I guess, right now, I just looking to get back to day one. The most humble place any of us can find. Any words; any thoughts are appreciated. First time experiences with AA are greatly appreciated. I have lived all over the world...have picked up shop and moved to foreign countries on more than one occasion and that never phased me...yet opening that door to my first AA meeting has been a wall that I have never been able to overcome. Any thoughts on what to expect would be appreciated in ways that I could never express...like I said...it's me...again...Exaybachay.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Closed meeting credentials --- You must be an alcoholic

good to hear from you amancall
Old 10-03-2008, 10:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So, I'm just curious about what to expect. I really don't know how this whole thing works. What are they going to say when I walk in the door? Hi...how can we help you? Oh, are you an alcoholic? Am I just going to sit there for however long it takes? Are they going to ask me to share? How do sponsors work? I have heard good stories and bad stories...is it ok to just sit in the back and stay quiet?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, it's ok to sit back and stay quiet.

I was very comfortable, my first meeting

You should go
Ed
Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

IMO, It's not like the horror stories you may have heard. You don't need 'credentials', only the desire to stop drinking. Some people have had bad experiences, but when you get ANY group of people together, things can get weird. You are not forced to do anything.

Someone with better advice will be along, but don't get discouraged if it's not immediately because SR is sometimes slow on the weekends.

Oh yea, WELCOME!!!!!
Old 10-03-2008, 10:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks...both of you. I have my alarm set and I am going to try and attend my first meeting...no, I AM going to go to my first meeting tomorrow morning. I have to say that I am as apprehensive as I have ever been in my entire life...strike that...as apprehensive as I can remember, which doesn't say alot. I don't get scared easily, except for when I really have to take stock of who I am. But, I guess that's what this whole thing is all about.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here is a great link on what to expect at your first AA meeting:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's great stuff...gives me somewhat of an idea on what to expect...thank you, very usefull
Old 10-04-2008, 06:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Fulldresser4

Please let us know how it goes...and know that you are in the right place both at AA meetings and SR. Welcome!