Meth mouth

Old 10-02-2008, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meth mouth

Does anyone know if tooth decay can happen months or years after someone quits meth? She takes good care of her teeth now (by brushing and flossing although she hasn't been to a dentist in years) but a couple have fallen out the past few days, piece by piece.

I appreciate any information anyone can offer.

Thank you,
Concerned
Old 10-02-2008, 04:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Black and Yellow

The only way to know for sure is to get to a dentist. I used meth for 16 years but I still went to the dentist. Luckily, except for my wisdom teeth, I still have all my teeth.
Old 10-02-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We're looking at thousands of dollars for dental work for my husband due to meth use in the past. It can happen months and years after, absolutely.

The acid in the drug can cause erosion. The drug also dries up your saliva and that has an effect. Some meth users also often lose interest in taking care of themselves (i.e. personal hygiene,) and will not brush teeth.

With my RAH, his teeth started to get bad during drug use, yes, but they got worse over time after he stopped because he didn't get dental work or go to the dentist for a long time.

So, from my experience, it can continue to get worse if you don't get some fillings or root canals, etc. He is looking at having 3 teeth pulled at this point because of his teeth going downhill using and then slowly continuing to decay over the last few years.