Notices

new guy....

Old 10-01-2008, 12:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new guy....

Checking in,

Five months today since the last drink. Back in AA, did my 90 & 90, more like 90 & 180 and joined a home group, morning meeting that meets everyday except Sunday. Meetings for me work, despite myself if I show up I change. Learning albeit slowly to converse with others and put my hand out, it is tough. Have been in the program before so I have no expectations, I feel good but I have felt good before so that is no indication of future progress.

What is different this time? Well without over analyzing things which I tend to do I understand that I have a thinking problem as well as a drinking problem. Putting down the booze was easier than dealing everyday with my own mind, thoughts, etc. I finally realize that I view the world even sober through the prism of an alcoholic. I can't trust my mind. My best thinking, well it got me to where alot of us end up, not good places. However, I still have bottoms to go, many "yets" are out there.

Well I am learning in my meetings that I am not the center of attention and that the world does not revolve around me, feels good to know that other alcoholics have the same feelings of grandiosity and egoism run amock. For me it is about my ego and learning acceptance.

Dealing with the symptoms of the disease is rough, but what else can I do? Drinking doesn't work, so I have to learn to deal with reality, life on life's terms which I don't very much enjoy.

Like they say this is going to be a hell of a ride.

Registered here because I am an isolater that hates to be alone.

Regards,

Chops
Old 10-01-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Chops,

Got a Big Book? What step are you on?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community
Glad you have renewed your recovery.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaulN View Post
Hi Chops,

Got a Big Book? What step are you on?

I do steps 1,2,3 and then 10 each night. Still trying to do step 1 perfectly which I am told is the only one that has to be perfectly done. A guy with 20+ years at my step meeting says that we can do the 4th when ready and that can be a long time, my sponsor who has 28 years agrees. I have not made any real amends through the steps but with the 10th step nightly I follow the rule that when you are in a hole, just stop digging, I can worry about filling it in later.

Unfortunately, my BB collects dust, once a week I go to my BB group.

C
Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Chops! It's good to have you with us. Sounds like you know what to do to keep yourself on the right path. Congrats on your sober time.

I understand very well about the "stinking drinking thinking". Have had to change my attitude along with staying sober. Having to learn new ways of dealing with life on life's terms. But I'm doing alright so far!

Again, welcome!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow Chops - Very impressed with what you've said thus far. Keep posting because its sure to help a lot of people other then just myself. Very glad you decided to join and post.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Hi Chops - Welcome to SR. Glad you're here. And keep up the heavy lifting!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

Hi Chops. I'm very new in AA and have also been stunned to find I am not the centre of the universe LOL!! Takes the pressure off, though, doesn't it?

One of my favourite bits in the big book is when they talk about how we all want to be director of the play and how everything would go right if other people would just only do what we wanted them to. That had me laughing at myself, it was so me!
Old 10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hey, chops... nice post. keep talkin man.... this drunk needs to hear just that sort of thing....
Old 10-01-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostbutterfly View Post
Hi Chops. I'm very new in AA and have also been stunned to find I am not the centre of the universe LOL!! Takes the pressure off, though, doesn't it?

One of my favourite bits in the big book is when they talk about how we all want to be director of the play and how everything would go right if other people would just only do what we wanted them to. That had me laughing at myself, it was so me!

Yep, I raised my hand once at a group, I had a problem with something or rather, "if only things worked this way, blah, blah, blah " bunch of old timers afterwards said to go home and read that section of the big book. Very appropiate.

The other day I had to make a call to this guy at work, the lady who answered the phone said he is busy right now, I said tell him it is (my name here), she said, "well he is still busy", I was shocked. Doesn't everybody know who I think I am???

A guy at meetings always says to me, if a room full of drunks had a tooth ache who's tooth would hurt the most?

C
Old 10-01-2008, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Hi Chops and welcome!
I a fairly new to this deal too. I will have 5 months next week.
I am happy that you came here and decided not to isolate!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hello Chops, and welcome to SR! Glad to hear you're going to AA and doing the deal. That's inspiring to me!

I noticed you're from the north shore of MA. Back in the early 90's I lived in Revere at the Point Of Pines near the Lynn line. I'd like to say I had the experience of going to meetings there, but at that time I was definitely deep in my disease. I had an intimate relationship with Lynnway Liquors!

I really miss the fried clams at Kelly's!

Hope to hear more from you, keep coming back!
Old 10-01-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

sober feels good doesn't it?
Old 10-01-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi Chops welcome to SR
Old 10-01-2008, 05:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Hello there Chops!

Welcome to SR! Glad that you found us and glad that you are
on the road to recovery...Please check out our other forums and share your ESH with others as they will with you! Keep posting
Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

"A thinking problem as well as a drinking problem" Wow....you just hit that one on the head, for me. Welcome to SR. It's an Awesome Home.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome man ..
Old 10-01-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are enjoying your recovery program and it's making sense to you and keeping you sober! That's what counts. Great job Chops.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Qualify your sponsor

Originally Posted by Chops View Post
I do steps 1,2,3 and then 10 each night. Still trying to do step 1 perfectly which I am told is the only one that has to be perfectly done. A guy with 20+ years at my step meeting says that we can do the 4th when ready and that can be a long time, my sponsor who has 28 years agrees. I have not made any real amends through the steps but with the 10th step nightly I follow the rule that when you are in a hole, just stop digging, I can worry about filling it in later.

Unfortunately, my BB collects dust, once a week I go to my BB group.

C
Hi Chops, welcome,
I would be real leary of any sponsor who suggested putting off step work. I would ask your sponsor why he is alcoholic. (it has nothing to do with external events) It's about a physical craving, a mental obsession, and a spiritual malady that is deeply rooted in selfish self centered attitudes and behaviors. There are quite a few folks in AA who are not alcoholic in the way the basic text describes.

It is good to practice step 10. My book tells me that my job at step 10 is to be of maximum service to God and my fellow humans. Steps 4-9 unblock me from God and my fellows allowing me to do just this. Good luck on your journey.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
OMG everything's real

I am doing step 4 now. *sigh* I need a big book LOL!! It's been good for me though! I seem to oscillate between thinking I'm worthless and thinking I'm perfect, when I suspect that I am probably just average. How are things going Chops?