Notices

Danger Time

Old 09-29-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Danger Time

So, it's the danger time zone...

Three thirty in the afternoon. I'm self employed so I'm free to start drinking now if I choose. I only have two beers in the fridge so I would need to go up the road and buy more... but I'm sitting here arguing with myself:

Go up the road and get some beer.
Why? I'll only feel like shite for the first couple before I hit the "happy zone"...

Yeah but you WILL get to the happy zone!
Not necessarily, sometimes I'm forcing it down trying to get there and I only end up bloated and suffering burning acid reflux.

So take a pill for the reflux and go get some beer. You know it's great fun drinking, smoking and playing games... spades, poker, backgammon...
Yeah, it's real fun waking up in the middle of the night full of regret and getting up in the morning and standing on those scales another few pounds heavier.

So don't eat dinner then, that'll save a few calories AND ensure you reach the happy zone.
mmm, true...

One day at a time, one minute at a time, blah blah blah... all that effort and agony and you know you're just going to drink again later so it's a waste of suffering.
Yeah I know.

Arrrggghhh!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
getting there

I know the place you're in right now - you just have to get through it until the craving passes. Do whatever you have to, like stay here and read and post. Or play sober spades, poker, backgammon...

The hardest part of sobriety for me has been getting through moments like this, where all the conventional wisdom seems to go out the window because you just want to get drunk... the more times you get through it the easier it will get.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...
I once bought a watch with only 5 on the face cause
then it was always cocktail hour.
How pathetic I was. And I thought I was sooo cute!
:brick

Glad to see you again....
Old 09-29-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi SH

I haven't posted to you before, but there's only one way out of that vicious cycle you wrote of in your other thread. It's not simple - none of us did it easy - but you can do it.

Thoughts and cravings are just that - thoughts and cravings. We don't have to act on them and we don't have to participate in the bargaining inner dialogues.

You can get past these cravings. Do something else - anything - even if it's just posting here

you can do it.

D
Old 09-29-2008, 07:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there and take it moment by moment.

I had one of those days today but I did not drink.

You can get through this!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It sucks-I know, but it passes.Truly.I had to get really active when the cravings hit early on.I also work from home and it was just way too easy to drink alone.I cleaned, I baked stuff, I went for walks-anything other than sit at my PC and drink.

It's not enough to just stop drinking-you have to change the way you've been living as a way of supporting yourself.Get some hard candy and suck on the lollies.It sounds strange but it helps.Get away from being sedentary and do something that involves you moving-you can't drink while you're cleaning an oven(altho-believe me-I've tried-LOL)

The cravings do pass-they don't last forever.Keep telling yourself you deserve better and reward yourself in a different way than drinking.Have a bubble bath, eat food you love.....be kind to yourself.These feelings will fade in time.Just hang in there and know you're not alone.

Julesxox
Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Hurricane,

I'm also self employed. I was drinking earlier and earlier. Before too long, early ended up being 9 in the morning. That was breakfast. Yeah, I gave up eating too.

This is a good place to hang out. Glad your here.

Ed
Old 09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jules62 View Post
It sucks-I know, but it passes.Truly.I had to get really active when the cravings hit early on.I also work from home and it was just way too easy to drink alone.I cleaned, I baked stuff, I went for walks-anything other than sit at my PC and drink.

It's not enough to just stop drinking-you have to change the way you've been living as a way of supporting yourself.Get some hard candy and suck on the lollies.It sounds strange but it helps.Get away from being sedentary and do something that involves you moving-you can't drink while you're cleaning an oven(altho-believe me-I've tried-LOL)

The cravings do pass-they don't last forever.Keep telling yourself you deserve better and reward yourself in a different way than drinking.Have a bubble bath, eat food you love.....be kind to yourself.These feelings will fade in time.Just hang in there and know you're not alone.

Julesxox
Great post... for me they have gone away completely for periods of time and then when the craving returns it is usually not for very long (a day or so)... and then I get another reprieve...

brings back memories... I had forgotten I did that... skipped dinner so I could drink and not pack on the lbs...

back to why I think this post rocks... because when I get a craving and I sit there and try to fight it... it seams to give the craving more power and it becomes more powerful. When I accept that the craving is there and then go find something to do to get my mind off the craving... well the craving passes before I realize it.

Good luck... for me a good run usually helps but so does walking and meditation... another thing that is a super duper smash the craving helper is doing something nice for someone else...
Old 09-29-2008, 08:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i had that exact convorsation in my head days ago...i think i was mainly bored. i had a cold and had been at home all day bored..what did i do?i got a 24 of beer and drank just over half of it just so i felt like i could go to sleep. then because i had told my bf days ago that i wanted to quit drinking..i lied to him and said that a friend had come over with the beer and then had to leave early, just so that it didn't look like i had initiated the drinking...thats when i knew i had to quit, and now im trying..this is day 1
Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was amazed, by the things I would do to protect my drinking

Day one is a good start toomuch,

Ed
Old 09-29-2008, 11:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I can't tell you how many times this argument went on in my head. Do you know how many times it has for you?
Originally Posted by SavageHurricane View Post
I'm sitting here arguing with myself:
And you lost again. So what else is new? This isn't an argument you are going to win. I know that I lost every time and yet I continued to have the same thing go on in my head day after day, year after year.

So if you can't win the argument what can you do?

Don't have the argument.

Get out of your head. Go to an AA meeting and talk to other people who have been right where you are now. As I said I was there many times but now I am free from it. And I'm not alone. There is hope. There are people who were once where you are right now who have years of sobriety.

Alone you will continue to lose this battle. Together we find another way. A different path. You did the right thing, you are here. Now let people who know how to stay sober help you to do the same.

Keep coming back.