Notices

half a day in and need support and answers please

Old 09-29-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy half a day in and need support and answers please

i've been drinking alot ever since I decided to give up drugs..(a recreational cocaine user)..somehow that seemed easier than this. now it has been 2 years without drugs but 2 years of extreme drinking....i can drink 2 bottles of wine to myself and still want a beer or 2. Tho i don't drink every night I do drink more then i don't. My job makes it hard too as I am a bartender, so every night seems like a party. I know I can still work my job without drinking tho because the majority of my drinking is done away from my co-workers. Anyways I would really appreciate some advice on how to get through the roughest parts and what to expect...I take ativan sometimes for panic attacks and anxiety disorder so am hoping these will help for the blood pressure part, which is a big problem I hear.
thanks for listening
Old 09-29-2008, 07:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

tmts,

Have you consulted your doctor about this, he/she may be able to help you through detox. :ghug3
It's not easy but you can do it.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

The very best advice I can give yoou is...
please consult with yoour doctor before abruptly stopping.
You are already using meds and so it's really
important you get a professional opinion.

Be both safe and sober!
Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 09-29-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Yes, please do talk to your dr about stopping drinking. It can be very dangerous.

I do think it's common to switch one addiction for another. I think that I had to deal with the underlying problems I had, in order to be able to begin to recover.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can totally elate. I had a huge cocaine addiction and was also addicted to zanax, while using anything else that came my. I was also drinking. Almost a yera ago I stopped the drugs, noto sure how I just realized one day I hadnt gotten high in awhile and I just keptit that way. No short of a miracle, but I couldnt stop drinking. I finally did for about 4 months, but I started again and have been drinking alot, probably double. I suppose the double drinking has been taking up the slack for the lack of drugs.

Its great that you want to stop drinking. I also reccommend you speak to a Dr as detoxing from alcohol can sometimes be dangerous, and very uncomfortable at the least.

Good Luck to you!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks guys...i know that i should maybe see a dr. but i really feel as tho i can do this on my own...i woke up this morning in the midst of a panic attack (hadn't had one for months) and took one of my pills..very low mg's...which eventually calmed me down...felt like i was gonna have a heart attack...anyways today now i just feel uncomfortable and ansy..hopefully it wont be to bad tommorrow...thanks for talking tho all...this helps
Old 09-29-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

im still on this site....have been for hours now trying to get in to the chat but all idoes is load for ever....any help...i feel like everyone around me wont understand why i need to stop and they all drink just as much as me. the curse of the service industry i think..really want to talk to people on here as i feel you are all my only outlet and source of hope
thanks
Old 09-30-2008, 05:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I understand you. My last job I was a bartender at a restaurant and I was always slipping stuff in my drinks. All of my friends drink too, I don't know if they drink as much as I do but it is hard to not drink when thats all you and your buddies always do.

I'm not sober now and I wish I was. Reading your post seemed like looking in a mirror.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It would be wise to talk with your doctor. Have you considered some AA meetings? Might be a good place to start. You can get thru the withdrawals (please be safe while detoxing) and stay sober, but you have to want to be sober more than you want to drink. It isn't easy but it can be done. We'll support you in your quest for sobriety.

:ghug3