Notices

new day one

Old 09-29-2008, 05:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new day one

here I sit feeling lousy again, this is so nuts, I know the out come when I pick up and still I do it; what is it going to take for me to get sober? I don't want to feel this way anymore;
Old 09-29-2008, 06:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

:prayingIt really is just one day at a time. I wanted so badly to drink yesterday and today I am so happy I had the control not to. When they call it a monster it really is true, you can do it one day at a time just keep starting over if thats what you have to do. Today is 2 weeks for me and it has been the hardest 2 weeks ever! Keep your chin up and do whatever it takes to silence the monster in your head even if it means going and buying yourself a litttle something that you would spend that alcohol money on,take a walk,take a nap, pick up a book, come here. best of luck to you:ghug3
Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried and failed at maintaining sobriety so many times I really thought I was hopeless. But I finally "got it", and so can you. For me I just was so sick and tired of being sick and tired, and wanted to stay sober more than I wanted to drink.

You too can succeed. Never give up. Keep trying. Eventually you will "get it". You can do this.:ghug3
Old 09-29-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

what is it going to take for me to get sober?
My experience: do everything it takes.

My first AA meeting was on December 17, 2007.
I got a sponsor right away.
I have worked through the steps and try to live them every day.
I am formally going through the steps again.
I have people in AA that I can call, go for coffee with.

I have not had a drink in over 9 months. I accept that I am an alcoholic. I do not miss alcohol. I have no obsession. I have a much better perspective on my life, alcohol has no place in it. I have moved on.

It takes hard work and patience but it is so worth it.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi, I'm at the same point as Pattyspaw. I need a friend to help me get started and who will be there to support me in hard times. I am tired of ruining my life, my friendships, my marriage.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

any progress looking into outpatient or inpatient programs, pattys? what about finding a good addiction counselor? i recall you said you had insurance for such options..

hugs, k
Old 09-29-2008, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome PTSD0508...

Glad you are here with us.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Patty....many of us had false starts on our way to recovery.

Are you ready for a structured recovery program?
Here is a list for you to explore if your interested

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Last edited by CarolD; 09-29-2008 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Link Added
Old 09-29-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

Originally Posted by PTSD0508 View Post
Hi, I'm at the same point as Pattyspaw. I need a friend to help me get started and who will be there to support me in hard times. I am tired of ruining my life, my friendships, my marriage.
welcome!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welocme to SR...

We are happy you found us, keep posting...
Old 09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by pattyspaw View Post
this is so nuts
Exactly.
I know the out come when I pick up and still I do it;
You just described my powerlessness in one sentence.
what is it going to take for me to get sober?
For me it was the opposite of powerlessness, I needed power I didn't have. Step two helped me with this part.
I don't want to feel this way anymore;
You don't have to. You don't have to ever drink again. The big book is a very simple outline that has freed me from feeling that way for 8 months now.

Thanks for coming back and sharing with us. :ghug3
Old 09-29-2008, 05:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I tried and failed at maintaining sobriety so many times I really thought I was hopeless. But I finally "got it", and so can you. For me I just was so sick and tired of being sick and tired, and wanted to stay sober more than I wanted to drink.
This is so me. I finally "got it" one day and just did it. It wasn't really that hard once I decided, like least, that I wanted to stay sober more than I wanted to drink. I am on Day 19 today!
Old 09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
letting God take the wheel...

I too always knew the outcome of my drinking...kinda deep down hoping everytime I would be pleasantly suprised, hoping to wake up and feel okay-not anxious,depressed,guilty,shamefull,embarassed,weak ,dirty,and trying to remember the puzzle pieces of the evening that gave a face to those monsterous emotions...I finally had enough and after several attempts of "quitting".... but deep down fully knowing I would again drink,I really did have that burning desire to stop for good..I couldnt take the anxity and depression anymore and how many times does that red flag have to wave in my face before I realized that I wouldnt ever get a different outcome after drinking....Now on my fourth and hopefully god willing last attempt of quitting I am only seven weeks sober, but God it feels good waking up every morning with clarity of the night before, and knowing that the mistakes of my drunken past are just that- past mistakes- everyone has made mistakes and the past is in the past...all I can do is change, and make damn well sure that I dont drink ever again because then I am gaurenteed those mistakes stay in the past..sure I will make more mistakes in my life, but not because I was drunk.....I am so blessed to have found AA because as hard as it is to stay sober its worth the sanity and without my weekly womens AA meeting..I would be lost...Good Luck getting sober and keep posting here it has also helped me immensely
Old 09-29-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Patty Ive slipped up many times , but I just keep trying again. Ive had a hard time getting it right, but im getting it slowly. It does get better.