Update on DS

Old 09-28-2008, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on DS

Just an update on AS. He went to Florida to detox/rehab last Sunday. After a few touch and go days of him wanting out, he's been detoxing this week with Methadone. He's accepted that he is where he needs to be. I think the "fog" is lifting.
I got a call Friday that he was coughing up some blood, they had to do an xray, and saw something on it, and will be doing another xray. This is the last I have heard. I'm very concerned for the medical problems, and I think he hasn't signed for permission for the doc to call me, as it's always been the rehab that he's being transferred to that has been keeping me up to date. They said they want to rule out TB, which scares the hell out of me.

Thanks for all the support during this week. I did attend my first Alanon meeting on Wednesday, and I'm not sure I loved it. But I heard that you have to give it a chance, go to a few meetings. So I'll continue to go, and see what I can learn from them. I couldn't find a Naranon meeting close to me, so I was told that Alanon was ok for me to do. Is this right?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Sister, thank you for the update..
so glad to hear he has decided to stay.... now you can take a deep breath and exhale..
sending prayers for his good health and continued recovery.
*both* Alanon and Naranon, will help you learn to--'focus' on you and your 'recovery'..
hugs and prayers for you, sister, you are doing great!
Old 09-28-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the update, and I'm glad he's decided to stay.

Al-anon will work just as well as nar-anon. I've heard people recommending going to at least 6 different meetings before deciding whether it's for you or not. Some meetings are "okay", some aren't, and some are really, really good.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-28-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Glad to hear he stayed in treatment, prayers for the medical issues to be okay.

Alanon/naranon...... I actually prefer the alanon meetings and my husband is an addict.
( but even if alcohol hasnt been an issue addicts in recovery dont use alcohol so I figure its all the same~~~since if my addict took up drinking in time he'd more than likely be an alcoholic)

I've also gone to a few -- families anon meetings and Codependent meetings

and like Impurrfect said its suggested that you try several different ones before you make a decision

I know for me, Its taken me awhile to get to where I like the meetings, for awhile I just thosught ~~these people are either whiners or really bitter, or I thought All they think will work is for me to "give up" on my addict
after time I have come to see that I was wrong on both counts
and I have learned some really usfull things in the meetings.

Good luck to both you and your son
Old 09-28-2008, 10:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad he has chosen to stay put. I know the health issues can be scary, and I am saying an extra prayer for both of you. As far as meetings, I tried several different groups before I found the one that just clicked. I've had the same home group now for about 2 1/2 years and have formed some wonderful friendships. Since we focus on our own recover, whether alcohol or durgs, it doesn't much seem to matter. Hugs
Old 09-28-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

And also, I forgot to add an amazing detail. My DD tolfd me the other night that 2 of AS's addict friends, who deal (I think AS was a dealer too) got picked up the other night and are in jail, they apparently had 700 bags of heroin. I'm so glad they got picked up.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Happy to hear "the fog is lifting" that's a wonderful way to put it!

I have attended Alanon for a number of years, and love my home group. Sometimes, if there is more than one Alanon in your area, you need to perhaps look around, and see what group fits you.

Prayers for you son and his medical issues.
Prayers and hugs for you, get some well deserved rest.

Do something good for just YOU.

Hugs...
Old 09-28-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sending prayers for your son to stay put and for you to have some peace. Maybe since he was in rehab when the others got picked up, he could look at it as a sign from his HP that there are better things out there for him. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-28-2008, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Your son's most potentially fatal condition is obviously his addiction and at least he is addressing that so he has a chance. This is good news.
Whatever other health problems he has, are secondary at this point.
He's in good hands, if he just stays and follows directions.

Wishing you some time without worry while he is getting medical attention.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with seeker; its isn't TB that will kill him, its drug addiction. He is in good hands, sounds like, and they will take care of him physically too. (I know the mom thing makes it hard to trust others to care for our kids).
Praying he stays in treatment!
Old 09-29-2008, 02:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
rozied

Prayers being said for your son. First that he stays in treatment for his addiction. Second that whatever else they find they can fix.
Hugs,
Diane