I just figured something out

Old 09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I just figured something out

I just figured some thing out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just figured out, if you are going to read books on codependencies and abusive relationships, DO NOT borrow a siblings books to read.

I just found some books my sister used when she was trying to get out of an abusive relationship, and one of the books "It's My Life Now" has a section in it where the reader fills in blanks to certain questions. I just read how (in her mind) I abused her with verbal slurs and put downs for the last 47 yrs. I am 47 she is 51. I know that she was really hurting at this time and I am trying to not take it personally, because as we know her feelings are her feelings. But dang if it doesn't hurt, since I don't remember EVER saying the things that are accredited to me.

So, just a word of warning to all those out there, Don't borrow books from siblings or friends if they have interactive questions in them, its kind of like eavesdropping on a conversation that you weren't meant to hear.
I love my sister very much and had no idea that this was going thru her mind. I don't understand where all this came from, but I am sorry that she felt that I would hurt her to that extent.

I posted this in another forum and thought this might be helpful here also.
:ghug3

Barb
Old 09-28-2008, 04:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Just remember that she was in great pain when she wrote that, and maybe just needed to get all the little stuff out with the big stuff.

I needed to write what I wrote for my 4th step, but I would be mortified if anyone read it. It was just me writing about some feelings and very personal.

I hope you can let this go and not mention it to her. I think that would add to both your pain and hers.

Sometimes siblings just get miffed with each other, and that's human, that's how it works.

Hugs
Old 09-28-2008, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

just work on being extra good to her. some times we hurt the ones we love most & not even realize it. say a prayer for her & let it go.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to journal, a lot, until my roommate found my journal, made copies of some pages and showed them to my bf!!

I wrote a lot of things that, in retrospect, I know was more of my feelings at the time, and had little to do with what was actually going on. Because of MY distress, I was misinterpeting a lot of what other people said and/or did.

I hope you can just let this go. I'm sure it hurts, but it's in the past.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-28-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

My sister says things that she thinks I said or feel about her all the time. I can't even understand where she is coming from with this stuff.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I understand what you are saying, the part that hurt, was how much pain she was in and I didn't have a clue. We used to be close until she started down the dark path of depression. I don't intend to mention anything to her.

My mom gave me these books she found at my grandmothers knowing I was wanting to read some things to help me better understand my relationship issues,ie bad picker, and when I opened up the first one found out they were my sisters. I didn't intentionally take them to intrude on her privacy

It is giving me a better insight into who she is right now, and yes I agree that she is projecting her own thoughts with my voice. I don't ever say to any one what she has credited me for saying because I have dealt with these issues myself for many years. I love her and wouldn't hurt like that for any thing in the world and really hope that some day she can get to a place that she will know that.

Thank you for you responses, it was such an AH-ha moment. But wouldn't suggest it to anyone as a way to get to know someone. It certainly isn't a way to get to know yourself. IMHO
Barb