Notices

Withdrawal Symptoms

Old 09-27-2008, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal Symptoms

A quick background on me is that I have been drinking about 7-9 beers a night for the past 3 years rom about 9pm to 2am. Thursday two days ago was my last of the heavy drinking. As I thought about quiting last night, Friday, I had two beers then quit. My drinking never interfered with work, I was just tired all the time, so in a way it did I guess. It did interfer with me eating properly.

What made me think of stopping drinking was my poor diet the past several months. The lack of nutrition was effecting me. I started to sweat easily with minimal activity this past week. That was remidied Friday by eating and drinking juice and soda.

So I have been eating out and a lot with plenty of liquads. That stopped the sweating.

Anyway it has essentially been 2 days since I drank many beers. I had 2 last night then decided to quit.

My first hurdle I am guessing will be getting over the alcohol withdrawal symptoms. That's were my question arises.

I have been reading about the withdrawal symptoms. I do feel a little light headed when I am walking, little bit sweaty palms but other than that I feel fine. I'm not sure if I am psyching myself up and feeling things that don't exist.

Am I to expect more to come? Should I try to find someone to work for me tomorrow morning? Tomorrow will be day three.

Basically what I was reading online was the same thing hashed over and over about withdrawal. If I have gotton through the first 2 days is the worst over?
Old 09-27-2008, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Everyone's reaction to withdrawing from alcohol can be different. For me getting thru day three was the end of the worst of the withdrawal. There's a 'sticky' at the top of the Alcoholism forum, it's called "quitting, what to expect, what we did". Lots of good info there.

I remember sweating a lot the first week. Sweating out the alcohol, I guess. I started feeling more human after the first week. Have you talked with your doctor about your wanting to stop drinking? Is there anyone who can keep in contact with you for the first week or so? If you start having any severe symptoms please seek medical help.

I wish you the best in your quest for sobriety. You can do it! We're here to help and support you the best we can.

Glad you're part of our SR family! :ghug3
Old 09-27-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We can't give medical advise but day 2 - you're through the worst of your withdrawals I suspect. Not everyone has terrible w/d. It just depends. Welcome!
Old 09-27-2008, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Arrow

Originally Posted by runnin1234 View Post
Am I to expect more to come? Should I try to find someone to work for me tomorrow morning? Tomorrow will be day three.

Basically what I was reading online was the same thing hashed over and over about withdrawal. If I have gotton through the first 2 days is the worst over?
DT's also know as Delirium Tremens seldom lasts more than a couple of days except in the case of the hardest 24x7 drinkers.

When I was in rehab they sent those who showed up inebriated to a withdrawl clinic.

Most of them were sent back in 2 or 3 days. The record was 5 days held by one drunk who was toe-tagged and sent to the morgue by mistake.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you and I am comforted to be a part of the SR family.

To me the first hurdle like I said is to get through the withdrawal symtoms.

At this point I don't have a desire to drink as I am shocked - for lack of a better term.

I know each person is unique in their withdrawal reactions but I am concerned about going to work tomorrow. I have to work. Tomorrow will be day three and so far I have avoided symtoms it appears. If I have made it through the first two days will things likely go down hill now. I just don't know.

I'll find that sticky you mentioned, thanks.

Right now the psychological part of not drinking is easy but I wonder about the future.

I guess I have people to keep in contact with but I don't want the world to find out.

edit: posts faster than mine.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also thanks for the quick attention everyone!!!

I need to work on myself. I imagine I this forum is a great resource and comfort.

To me I need to find out why I spent so many evening drinking beer. Boredom, loneliness, habit? And take it from there.

I'm new here so please execuse me as I don't know the social protocal on this forum.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

BTW - Mine were the worst 8-48 hours after my last drink. I felt better each passing hour, so I really and honestly think you're past the worst part. Drugs are a little different but alcohol goes through our system incredibly fast. That's why w/d can be so dangerous. It is my opinion that if you feel okay now then tomorrow you will be absolutely fine physically. What's your plan for the mental obsession part of quitting? You may not have it now but if you're like me then it'll come up. Staying off the booze can be harder then quitting at first. Oh...well, my post couldn't be all sunshine and lollipops. I just wanted to give youa little peace of mind about working tomorrow really. Don't pysche yourself out so that youfeel worse tomorrow. I didn't get bad withdrawals from alcohol for most of my time drinking.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What's your plan for the mental obsession part of quitting?

I don't know.

I have thought a lot about though the past two days but I have been more worried about withdrawal symtoms and getting through that.

Looks like I'll be reading and participating a lot here.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good plan. I look forward to reading your posts.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

The objective is to get poison out of your body. Take a multi vitamin and electrolytes will help. Excersice to help sweat it out would be wonderful but light excersice. Withdrawl is different for everyone. With me, it takes a week or more but that's because it's not in my system ever so my body is full of strange toxins. Ugh, I can think about it still.
You are on your way to recovery. I just wanted to stop by and wish you happy healing.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thanks for sharing.

Withdrawals do differ from person to person so the best idea is to get checked out by a Dr. to make sure you are in good health.

I have experienced night sweats, restlessness, hallucinations, nausea, loss of appetite, disorientation, insomnia, depression and anxiety attacks while withdrawing in the past.

They will pass and each day gets better. You might give some thought to how you plan to stay sober. Sober Recovery is a great resource and there are many other resources out there as well.

No matter what, take it a day at a time. Sobriety is there if you want it!

Old 09-28-2008, 01:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

...Welcome to our recovery community
Old 09-28-2008, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Runnin - How ya feeling today? Just checking in.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks bostonluv.

made it through the day fine. Actually felt great. Went to bed early and woke up a little earlier than usual. When was the last time I got 7 or 8 hours of solid sleep with no alcohol. My usual was 5 or 6 hours at most with alcohol. It was so nice not to be dragging all day. The weekend job today was still a long drawn out bore though.

Now is catch up time for me. I get paid to do some work at home, computer programming, and of course I fell behind.

I have two jobs, one to pay off my credit cards, the weekend job, which turned out to be pay for my beer job and my fulltime job which is during the week with some hours at home. So today I did the weekend day job and tonite I did my week job - project.

I have a lot of catching up to do.

So I escaped the withdrawal symtoms but now is the tough part. I would love to go out and have a beer right now, haha, but I won't. It doesn't help that I live right in the middle of Chicago with about god knows how many bars within a few blocks radius. Need to find a new social life I guess.

Thanks again everyone
Old 10-23-2008, 08:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well it has been about four weeks since I joined here. I have gone out and had drinks three times all within the first two weeks. Each time I had between 2 and 5 beers. So I think I am making good progress at least in my eyes.

Some thoughts. Work still sucks, ha! I am not tired all the time like I was before. I go to bed about two hours earlier a night than I was before. I am waking up way before I have too. Way before for me is like 30 mins earlier than I have to, to get out the door in time for work.

Things are good, I seemed to have avoided withdrawal symtoms, thankfully. I was really worried about that.

Oddly enough when I would drink at home, before, I would clean and clean my apartment, do laundry all the time, everything was spotless. I am still clean but I'm certainly not as anal about it as before. Too bad about that, lol.

I enjoy hanging out with friends more that I am not drinking or drinking nearly as much, the small things in life are more enjoyable, though the CTA - the trains and busses, still **** me off . I haven't owned a car for years and years. I sold it not because of alcohol or related alcohol related incidences, I sold it because I didn't need it, it was a hassle to have one here. Too bad I ruined a summer drinking. I stopped just in time to enjoy winter, sarcasm.

I used to buy cheap beer so I haven't noticed a big savings in money.

So I hope I keep up this no drinking or I guess not drinking much. I certainly will try to. Tnaks for listening.