Notices

A Good Day to Get Sober

Old 09-25-2008, 02:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A Good Day to Get Sober

Hello all,

I am new to this website but have been reading here for a little over a month. I went through rehab in March and stayed at a halfway house for a month and got sober for 59 days. Since then I have relapsed several times. I learned that it is much easier to stay sober than to get sober again. Let me tell you about insanity - I hope this helps keep someone sober today.

Because of my drinking, I have given away: A good job, my drivers license, several friendships, support of my family and countless hours of wasted time. Every time I pick up, I lose something. I walked out of my office drunk yesterday because I couldn't control my drinking from the night before, and brought the bottle to work. I have spent entire days drunk in bed, I am a real alcoholic. I'm starting posting on here hoping that I can stay sober just for today, everyday.

Today is day 1 for me once again, I hope that it is the last time I feel this awful and ashamed.

I'll leave you with a quote that has helped me from the 24 hour a day book:

"Keeping sober is the most important thing in my life. The most important decision that I ever made was my decision to give up drinking. I am convinced that my whole life depends on not taking that first drink. Nothing in this world is as important to me as my own sobriety. Everything I have, my whole life, depends on that one thing."

Chris
Old 09-25-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I know what you mean. I've been thru awful withdrawals too many times. All I can say is that my constant relapses must have been practice for the Real Thing, as now I'm sober nearly 11 weeks and want only to stay sober!

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 09-25-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
where the light is

Best wishes, Chris.

Do what you have to do to stay sober.

In my case, I have been using AA, SR, family & friends, self help books, journaling, and exercise. Whatever it takes!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I'm really working hard to stay clean this time. I'll be going to a meeting after work tomorrow and checking in here too - I've read a lot of good posts on here.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Turning it all around

Congrats Chris! Welcome aboard. Keep writing, it really works. Others can use your vast experience in their own efforts. Efforts to quit and efforts to say the course. For me, all I have to do is think of where alcohol has taken me and I run for the hills! Change everything about your routine. Begin a completely new and empowering one. This would be a great time for a healthy routine. Get lost in pampering yourself. Catch up on all that you have deprived yourself. Cherish the withdraw symptoms for they will motivate you. Most of all, enjoy the freedom. Prayers
Old 09-25-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Chris - I know it's so very hard, but at least now there is no doubt in your mind what has to be done. It took me many false starts, but I finally got it, and I have 8 mos. sober after decades of drinking.I never thought I could learn to live without my "friend" and constant companion. I also took drinks to work with me (had my own private bathroom to stash it in, how convenient). In the beginning no one knew, but I finally crashed and burned and totally humiliated myself. I have the same path of destruction behind me as you do, but I'm here to tell you it can all be built back up again and your life can be even better than before. You'll be stronger and wiser, and you'll learn to appreciate and treasure every sober day.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll be going to a meeting after work tomorrow and checking in here too
I can stay sober just for today, everyday.
Your off to a great start Chris
Old 09-25-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I do use SR as an important supplement to my
face to face AA program.
I know you can benefit from doing that too.

Keep in focus...Yes! you can win over alcohol
Old 09-26-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hi chris, nice to see you reaching out around sr! keep coming back! hugs, k
Old 09-26-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow Chris! I am so glad you posted that and yes, it truly does help us all to hear your story. Let us help you in the trying days ahead and lean on SR, AA, books, or whatever it takes to get through the moments. You can do it!