BIG Decision--help!

Old 09-23-2008, 07:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

BIG Decision--help!

I have an interview for a new job tomorrow. It's a friend of mine and she sought me out, so basically it's mine if I want it. It's a longer commute but shorter hours and I'd be my own boss.

I'm pretty miserable where I am right now, burned out, overworked and no raise in 4 years. But they really depend on me here, my boss in particular, who's going through a tough time right now with medical issues...in a nutshell. I fear that guilt and misguided loyalty may stop me from taking a necessary step. It's a great opportunity and the way the economy is now, I don't know when the next one will come.

So to sum up, My codependency may derail me if I'm not careful. Still have to nail down the particulars of the job but I'm terrified I may be talked into staying through guilt.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Looking for the silver lining

Yes...this is your codie behavior cropping up.

Let's look at it reasonably...yes, your boss may have medical problems, and yes, you are a great worker (why else would others seek you out). However, how have you been compensate for your hard work? A raise...no. Someone to share the load....no. No. No. NO. If they appreciated you that much, they would have considered all of this. They haven't. Sounds like the big mantra around there has been: "Just give it Angelus. Angelus will do it."

Believe me...if they didn't need YOU anymore, they wouldn't hesitate to give you the axe, and believe me...you wouldn't get any notice.

You deserve an economic opportunity and emotional betterment. You already recognize that your behavior is trying to hold you back. There is no way to go around the discomfort, so just go through it. Give them your notice. Write your letter of resignation...and move onto better things.

I PROMISE you that another Angelus will be on the horizon for them. So step outside your comfort zone...Just wait til you feel the empowerment!

Keep up posted!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

If the situation were reversed, if for some reason your current workplace had to get rid of you, your manager might be very sorry about it, and they would miss you, but you would be out the door. Good luck and Go For It!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

You are talking yourself out of it.........If you were your own friend what would you tell you to do? Take the job and let the chips fall where they may? Life is too short to be miserable.
If you leave things the same then nothing will ever change..........gooooooooo for it!!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Don't assume that the current boss will flail without you! Your departure may be an opportunity for some as yet unknown player to enter the game.... y'know what I mean?

You're creating a job opportunity for some other person out there!!

Also- maintain a sense of proportion: you can feel bad and a little guilty for leaving your boss, especially if you know you have been carrying a big work load. But that's the extent really: you feel a little bad, a little guilty, you live with it and YOU MOVE ON!!!!!!!!!!

It sounds like the right thing to do.

Peace & good luck at your new job!
B.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We are all afraid to take chances. We are afraid of change. You have to take care of yourself first. PERIOD.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Recovering Codependant

Go for the new job!!! Your boss can find another person to give his huge work load to! Don't let your worries about someone/thing else stop you from doing what you KNOW to be in your highest good!

Lily xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everyone has made great points. Please don't hold yourself back from taking this new opportunity! You deserve so much more in life than a job that makes you miserable!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just a thought (because I've been there done that), maybe you are talking yourself out of it because you don't feel "good enough" to have something better in your life. Moving on will take all the drama of a job you hate and can spend lots of (negative) energy on out of your life.

I could be completely off base......and am probably just projecting my own stuff, so take it or leave it, but something to ponder.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Do what is best for YOU, it's just business.