Not doing so good in Florida

Old 09-22-2008, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not doing so good in Florida

I've been on the phone all morning with the detox place and rehab..DS is very resistant. Has a plan, wants to leave, hitch to the airport, says he'll call me when he gets there and I'll get him a flight. No Way, but says he'll kill himself if he doesn't. Going minute by minute here, as the place is not a lock down facility, but the plan is that if he does leave, the doc will Baker Act him. I'm shaking all over like a leave, and now joining the knot that has made a home in my stomach is the lump that has made a home in my throat.

Please..I need prayers. Doc told Rehab that he hasn't seen such a bad case, keep addiction in someone so young, come through in a long time....DS needs prayers as well...
Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

prayers from North Dakota to you
Old 09-22-2008, 09:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

((((((Sister))))))
zapping prayers your way at the speed of light for you and your son...don't forget, deep breaths , keep turning him over to his HP..and remind yourself hourly that you are doing the right thing ...this is in his hands now and his HP has him...try not to awfulize....and do something nice for you to relax...and remember his HP HAS a plan for him... Grateful
Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ph.D in insanity!!

You have tons of prayers coming your way. Please keep us posted. Try and remember the saying "let go and let God" (hug)
Old 09-22-2008, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First of all, as a recovering addict, I also used the "I'll kill myself" when I didn't get my way. Also, that is one of the reasons the doctor can Baker Act him...he's a danger to himself.

I know you're worried sick, and scared, but like was said above, he is in HP's hands.

Big hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi sistergoldenhair. I love your screen name. I truly admire what you are doing for your son. Don't lose hope.

Are you doing anything for yourself and the rest of your family to help deal with the effects of his addiction? Addiction makes the whole entire family sick. After you get through the Florida ordeal, I hope that you will take a moment to consider counseling, alanon or some other kind of support group for the loved ones of addicts to help you deal with your sons addiction and also to help heal the hurt that he has caused you.

Unfornately we can't love them clean.

Good luck to him though. I look forward to your updates. And no matter what path your son chooses, we are here to support you and help you build up strength in your personal journey.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hugs and prayers coming your way.

I'm sitting right there with you, holding your hand and trying to talk serenity to you to get you through the next 5 minutes. Keep up the "No Way" and hopefully your son will hear it.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm feeling the warmth, thank you all. Yes I am planning on going to NarAnon or Alanon, but right now am trying to get through the hours. It's been 2 hours and I haven't heard from them. No news is good news right :/
Old 09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sending hugs and prayers from western NY.

We're all here for you and keeping you and your son in our prayers. Sometimes is hard not to feel like your stranded on this lonely island of addiction that the world, or your friends, know nothing about. That's what makes this site so wonderful, we all really know what it's about and then we don't feel so lonely.

Hugs
Old 09-22-2008, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No news is good news right :/
Stay positive. ;-) No new is good news RIGHT!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hang in there, In Florida we not only have the Baker Act if hes a threat to himeself we also have something called the marchman act which is used if a person needs treatment and does not understand the need for treatment. The people at the rehab can file the marchman or you can file it -----then he would be evaluated and ordered into treatment for the length of time the evaluator recommends.............

Good luck, hugs and prayers
Old 09-22-2008, 11:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BBD

Hi sistergoldenhair~~ More prayers from Western NY for you and your son. Hopefully they will not let him loose and I'm sure that will be the case. The only thing you can do from afar is pray!! I know that gutwrenching feeling your going through. I felt like that for a year and its not pleasant at all......HOPE~~~~hang on to it hon. Smiles, Bonnie
Old 09-22-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sending prayers that your son surrenders and prayers for you too that you can have some peace. Hugs, Marle
Old 09-22-2008, 12:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Sending prayers as well...
Old 09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I understand the hell you are going through. I was in your shoes last November/December. MY AD called constantly with suicide threats if I did not rescue her. She was referred out of two consecutive rehabs ....and finally landed at a third before she stayed put.

Detoxing from heroin does not require medical oversight or medication. No one dies of of going cold turkey but no doubt they feel as if they are. Some detox facilities are holistic and others use prescribed pharms to mitigate discomfort. Methodone and Suboxone supress physical craving, not the emotional need for heroin. Both are meant to be temporary and will require medical oversight to taper, over time. No approach is a magic cure.

It is very common for those going through detox and rehab to manipulate family members to rescue them and many families do. It is easy to bankrupt yourself financially and emotionally to give a family member every opportunity to get and stay clean.

If one is committed to sobriety, one can acquire the same survival skills at the Salvation Army as they would at the most costly Celebrity Rehab.

This is the time to focus on you, not your son. Consider limiting your contact with him and the rehab. It's up to him to use the opportunity, or not.
You did not cause it. You cannot control it. You sure as hell cannot cure it.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Sister,
Hugs to you sweetie, I know what a hard time you're having.

My opinion is "You can lead a horse to water...but..."
If your son is not ready for rehab, so be it, not much you can do.
What you CAN do is not have a soft place for him to land if he decides NOT to stay.

Hugs and hugs, and prayers for your son.

P.S. My son also said he would commit suicide.
I believed him for the first 10 times, and after that I was too exhausted to care, I'm sorry to say.
He's long given up telling me that.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm in the same shoes as you today

20 Year Old Daughter in Rehab, bought her a used car last monday at suggestion of therapist so she could go get a job, that night, that very night she drove 60 miles to get coked up! Went back to rehab and was tested that's how we found out. Beligerant,mean and horrible for a week thereafter.

Today she has decided she no longer needs inpatient treatment and is going to Ft. Lauderdale to a halfway house!!!! Last time she shot up in a halfway house and was booted out.

Been kicked out of other rehab for using too.

I cry as I fear she will die but I also know...

I didn't cause this.
I can't control this.
I can't cure this.

Get to a Nar Anon meeting. Its a sanity saver. I go weekly and you will find great comfort in knowing your not alone and having others who share your pain will help.

Outsiders judge, Nar Anon folks live your life.

Only your child and a Higher Power (I call mine God) can save him. You have to find the good in your life and the joy that is in your life and not only focus on your addict. I know this sounds impossible but Nar Anon will help you.

Trust me, I've lived with her addiction for over 4 years now and its the only way to keep sane with an insane family member/child/loved one.

Praying for all of us in this boat. It feels so often like its sinking but we need to paddle paddle paddle to keep ourselves afloat. A friend in Nar Anon once told me:

See your sitting around depressed, weeping, trying to figure out what the heck to do and your addict...

Is just going out and having a good time getting high.

Makes sense that we must look out for us as we can't control our addicts.

God Bless You.:praying